Best seats on Transpac 744

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Oct 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the moment, have picked 45H on UA's 744 from ORD to HKG and return. Hoping that a very kind friends' gifted SWU clears me up to C, but just in case I'm stuck in Y+, I figured on row 45 aisles being the best seat in Y+. I thought about row 19 (bulkhead), but everything I can find on the seat dont show it to be the best choice. Never flown UA 744 Y, can anyone confirm that what I'm doing is a decision for a 14-15 hour flight if I get stuck in Y? or have a better idea?

row 33 aisles are taken, and the exit row windows have the slide mechanism protruding into most of your leg room.

thx much.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best seat is the Captain's Seat in the Flight Deck somewhere over the Pacific Ocean...

To be honest, all the seats on the 747 in Y sucks pretty much, E+ has more room so I would suggest the Bulkhead in E+.

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does the bulkhead have as much room as an exit row? I'd be surprised if that was the case. I'm only 5'11" and would like to stretch without hitting a wall or seat.

4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I don't get upgraded I always take 19 C or H, however I am 5'8" and I find it comfortable enough, you being taller might find leg room a little short, but you can stretch your feet out slightly from the bulkhead into the aisle, that is until the serving carts need to go by, the seat you have picked is right across from the galley making sleep a little more difficult unless you have an eye shade and ear plugs and you will be far from the exit door of the aircraft, so you can probably plan to spend a little longer in the immigration line in HKG.

Flyer1976 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I asked Siri and she burst out laughing.

There are no good economy seats (on UA, for a flight of this length). You have my sympathies in case the SWU doesn't clear. On the plus side, you WILL survive.

Bulkhead doesn't have anywhere near as much space as exit row, but also no people lingering around in front of you waiting for lavs or stuff from the galley or simply trying to stretch out a bit. Bulkheads on the other hand attract babies in their bassinets (not sure specifically about 747).

I hadn't flown E+ on a 747 in years, and when I recently faced the SFO-ICN trip, I picked an aisle seat by the window with the middle empty. Had to move myself a few times as the cabin filled up, but eventually lucked out.

catgirl, sfo1 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I like your strategy of roaming about the cabin to find some space. Looking at C inventory, theres 36 seats open on the outbound, and 34 on the return. I'll be shocked if I'm not upgraded. Especially since I am travelling alone, on a priority upgrade list and there are only 6 people on the upgrade list as of today. Odds are my way I hope!!!!!!

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Will need to pack ambien, and make sure my top gear episodes are up to date as well in case I can't sleep!! I'm fearful of the babies at the bulkhead, and love the fact that no kids can sit in the exit rows......hoping that row 33 aisles open up and I can scoot up somewhat. There's no global entry at HKG???? :eek::(;)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found that usually the passengers with babies end up in the middle section of the bulkhead, as they have the hooks to fasten the skycots for the babies, I have never experienced the ABC of the bulkhead with babies next to me.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, but I have been in the aisle seat of the window section (on the 777) and the baby in the bassinet in the middle was rather noisy, Admittedly, the prospect of babies in the middle section wouldn't keep me from booking 17AB on an old-config 777 if it was available. Not sure, though, that the 747 bulkheads are worth it.

Lufthansa Flyer and sfo1 like this.
  10. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually prefer 45 exit row over 33 extit row. 45C is the way to go if you are stuck in Y. The 33 exits are by the lav. Free sounds and smells, and people are always lined up there bumping my extended feet while I am trying to sleep.

45A-C is the darker/quieter side of the galley. We all know how little UA FA's like to work when in the galley so...plenty quiet ;) lol. Sorry that was a low blow. Seriously, it is busy for a couple meals but pretty low key the rest of the time. YMMV.

Also, there is a form of Global Entry in HKG but you have to apply in advance and prove 3 visits in the last 12 months or something. Then you can scootch through quite quickly. Called the HKIA Frequent Visitor Card.

11. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that CX services the route, odds are in your favor that they won't sell all of those seats.

Flyer1976 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  12. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip, I picked row 33 on a UA transpac flight but I'm now changing to row 45... the thought of beside the lav is not pleasant and I prefer exit seats over bulk heads any day.