Best seats on JetBlue aircraft

Discussion in 'JetBlue | TrueBlue' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are only two aircraft types and the seats are mostly all the same so the options are reasonably limited. That said, there are some quirks about the aircraft layouts that do make some seats better than others. Here are my thoughts on the topic.

Airbus A320
    The minimum pitch on this aircraft is 34". That's enough for most passengers to be comfortable without needing to purchase EML seats (especially with the new, higher prices those are going for). If you do choose to pay for the EML seats I'd avoid row 5 or 11 as you'll be reclining into a row that is only 34" and they will likely bump into your seat back more than others.

Row 1 has pitch at the knees similar to the EML seats but no ability to extend your feet forward under the seat in front of you. Also, the TV screen is fixed in the bulkhead which makes watching it rather annoying. Even worse, you board towards the end so getting overhead space is a challenge in row 1. Seat 1A almost always has a very scratched up window due to the jetbridge rubbing against it; looking out is difficult. Seat 1F, on the other hand, is generally a clean window and has the benefit of being the only seat on the aircraft with a power outlet. Yup, a power outlet. It isn't officially there for customers but at the foot of the door/bulkhead joint there is an outlet that you can use if sitting there.

The rest of the seats on the A320 are more or less the same.

Embraer E190
    The Embraer E190 has variable pitch depending on where you are sitting. Forward of the exit row (the only EML seats on this aircraft) there is only 32" pitch while behind it there is 33" pitch. EML is only 34" pitch so I generally say just get a seat in the back and don't pay extra. Plus, in the back you are more likely to have two seats to yourself than up front if the flight is lightly loaded.

Don't go too far back, however, if you like overhead bin space. Because of limited galley capacity the crew uses the last starboard bin (over 24/25) for snack storage. Plus the crew often stow their bags on the other side of the aisle back there. Row 18 doesn't have a window so skip that if you like looking outside.

If you go for 21 you are first to board (after EML and kids) so overhead space should be good, you get the greater pitch and the plane is small enough that you'll still be out pretty quickly once at the gate.

The same "issues" related to row 1 apply, including the oft scratched window.

General
    Row 1 on both types (and row 6 on the A320) are assigned in advance only for special needs and otherwise are assigned at the airport. If you're stuck in a middle seat anyways I'd go for row 1 and at least get a bit extra lap space unless on a redeye where you'll want to extend your legs.

2. amf09
    Original Member

amf09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with everything you wrote about the E190. [​IMG]

3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    this is good info! I always choose window seat, and always am pissed beyond belief when I arrive at my window seat and there is no window!!! (this always happens on legacies, have never experienced it on JetBlue)

4. Wish I had seen this before I booked my upcoming flight.

5. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could change your seats if you want. If you have trouble online just call 1800 JETBLUE and they will change it for you.

6. rjb
    Original Member

rjb Silver Member

Status Points:
    June 2010 we had a couple of flights on the A320 & paid the surprisingly small extra charge for the EML seats. We were surprised that there were a lot of unused EML's. Flights were ORD-JFK & BOS-SAN so we thought we got great value

7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report. Had no idea about EML and the general lack of need of it on the 190s.