Best seat configuration on BA 747s for couples in First

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by schen75, Jan 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. schen75

schen75 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked my first BA First Class seats with my wife using a companion pass on an award ticket from JFK to LHR. We are currently assigned to 3A and 4A. In your experience, what are the best seats for a couple in this class and why?

Any help or info is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    My fiancee and I had those same exact seats aboard BA's 747 this past August.

Really no difference between having either 3A &4A than having an "A" seat and an "E" seat [the aisle seat].

As a couple and you're wanting to talk to your signficant other during the flight, neither choosing an "A" seat or an "E" seat is advantageous since the seats are pretty secluded. In order to talk to each other, you'll either stand next to the seat, or if you a small enough person, sit in the rear-facing ottoman portion of the seat. Since I'm a bigger person, it wasn't really feasable for me to sit in the ottoman portion of the seat for a long period of time; I was rather crammed.

But no means am I complaining about BA's 747 product... it's fantastic, and outstanding service with flight attendants that really love their jobs.

Your seat assignment is fine. :)

schen75 likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I'd call the seat assignment fine. 3a and 4a will be completely isolated from each other. If you wish to have private time to yourselves, then indeed, it will be fine.

If you like to chat, watch a movie together or eat together*, it may not be for you.

There are two sets of middle seats together, 4ef and 5ef. These allow you to engage with each other during the flight, and are called by many BA regulars as "the couples seats."

There are some drawbacks to the couples seats...no nearby windows for one, and row 4 may feel a bit "exposed" the way it is set in the cabin...while row 5 is the closest to the galley, so, while not exposed to the cabin, you might pick up a bit more galley noise.

1ak is my favorite, even for couples. These seats are restricted to Golds, though I've been able to get them at the airport (even after my gold card had expired). You might consider an A+E combo, or F+K combo too, which will get you a bit more in sight of each other.

* Finally, there is a pod seat, which is great good for dining together. There is a seatbelt. While the prior poster said it was too small, for the vast majority of people, it should be fine. I'm 6' 4" and wear a 44" suit and fit there no problem. So, if you do end up sitting apart, you could dine together head-to-head.

My pref would be in order:
    1ak
    5ef
    2ak
    4ef
    Then any of the cross-aisle pairs 4ae, etc
    And only last the two in a row that you've selected.

Enjoy your flight. BA f is a great product. Make sure to visit the Concorde room during transit or departure from LHR (though you cannot visit it if you are just arriving at LHR and not departing from there). Pre-book a cabana or two via youfirst if you'd like some private space. Brief massages can be booked 30 days prior (cabanas booked any time prior), and best to book earlier. The youfirst email system is great I find.

Upon arrival (if you are staying in LHR), you will also have access to their arrivals facility, which is unrivaled. There is a room-within-the-room for for first class dining (called Concorde dining, iirc).

http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/british-airways-arrivals-at-london-heathrow-lhr.html

Enjoy your trip and let us know what you select ... And please let us know how you liked it!

Whatwasthat..., Dad to GO and schen75 like this.
  4. schen75

schen75 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Max M- thanks for the info. You also mentioned the benefits of an A-E config, which I agree with.

NY banker-as of last night 5ef is available on my flight. Seat guru also noted these seats for companion travel seats. I will change my seats to them later. Thanks!

Great blog on the arrival lounge, will definitely take advantage of it on our arrival.

5. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    We sat in 5EF and found it to be great.

schen75 likes this.
  6. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our preference on a 747 flying as a couple are.... 2AK, 1AK, 2A3A, etc.

7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm 6'1" and height wasn't the issue of the pod. It's if you have a bit of a pod in the pod. ;)

That might make sitting there uncomfortable for dining.