Best Routing to Bali (DPS) mostly on AA metal to use SWU

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by OceanBreezes, Nov 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking about going to Bali next year (from DFW) and was curious if someone knows a good routing to consider. I would like to use a SWU so I would like the longest legs on AA metal. Most of the searches seem to fly Cathay Pacific from SFO/LAX which would be excellent if award travel. Anyone have any luck getting there mostly on AA Metal at a reasonable price?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Your best bet is to head into NRT with AA metal and continue on with JL and CX going HKG/DPS. Could also consider taking AA metal into PVG or PEK and connecting to CX/KA.

Depending on when you are considering going, you could also think about flying into one of the Asian gateway cities and flying onward with MH, since they will be a OW member by then, but you're unlikely to see AA codeshares on MH metal for awhile still, so the earning rates on those flights is yet to be determined.

I've looked at revenue flights into DPS several times, they're rarely ever good deals, mostly over $1500 USD for more R/Ts. You could always get a low priced ticket into SIN/KUL and purchase a separate ticket on a LCC like Jet/AirAsia/Tiger, etc.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of related thoughts

1) Connecting througg PVG is time consuming (give 2 hrs min and I'd recommend 3) and a bit confusing esp the first time, but fine. Prices from US to PVG (and PEK) on AA are usually quite good and DestinationDavid's LCC suggestion would pair well and price lower than a LCC flight from NRT in most cases. Just have your ducks in a row for transiting without a visa (TWOV) in China.

2) Another thought would be to try the new DFW-ICN route that starts in May on AA. ICN to DPS will price price out about the same as NRT to DPS, but you'd be a tiny bit closer and get to see a new route. Who knows - maybe they will switch this to a 773 at some point :)

OceanBreezes likes this.