Best Route from Boston, Ma to Accra, Ghana in Africa?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by OnwardAndUpward, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. My daughter is doing a Junior semester in Ghana. Any thoughts on the best flight route/carrier from Boston to Accra, Ghana.

Or any other important info if you've traveled there.
    Thanks!

jbcarioca and DestinationDavid like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Off the top of my head, I'd say on oneworld you can fly AA/BA to LHR and then BA to ACC.

On *A you can do BOS-IAD and on to ACC with UA.

On SkyTeam there's always DL through ATL/AMS.

You can also look at AF/LH/AZ who have flights out of BOS and fly to ACC.

What class of service are you trying to get, and is this an award ticket or a purchased ticket? These things can change what people recommend in terms of "best".

And congratulations on your first post, welcome to MP! :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL/KL via AMS may be another option - AMS is a very easy airport to transfer through, especially international to international. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does KLM have a BOS flight? I mentioned above using the DL flight to connect in AMS, but I didn't think KLM flew from BOS anymore, they just codeshare on DL.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also vote for the AMS connection, especially if there's a nonstop BOS-AMS. This would be easy to manage and pleasant and not too much of a risk for lost luggage. SkyTeam would also have connections using AF through CDG Terminal 2.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since it would all be SkyTeam, it doesn't matter whether BOS-AMS is DL or KLM. It's all a joint venture anyway. If it requires a connection in the North America, DTW would be better than ATL or JFK, assuming that it's a legal routing.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree if this was an economy ticket (which it most likely is). If this is a premium cabin ticket, I'd say there's perhaps more of a debate.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty clear on how airline alliances work, but the post I was replying to stated they'd take KLM the whole way and appears to be edited now to add DL. I was under the impression BOS-AMS was on DL metal only, and was inquiring if there was a KLM metal flight I wasn't aware of. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there might well be a debate based on aircraft type. The DL A330s have wonderful AVOD in back and are considered wonderful for longhaul coach. The unreconfigured (into flat bed) 767s are horrid in BE, but pretty good in coach with 2-3-2 seating, so that there are lots of aisle seats, although only overhead screens and music for entertainment.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether BOS-AMS is DL or KL is something that I think has been flip-flopping over the years, including before the NW merger. I'm pretty sure I've taken it both ways but I haven't had a reason to check recently as I hate east coast TATL connections because there isn't a long enough flight to get a decent night's sleep eastbound.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also, for a small uptick in price you can book BA premium economy into LHR, which I'd take over DL's new offering if I'm judging just on pictures (dangerous! Have you tried the new product yet?). There's a lot of room for movement, but it really depends on what the OP wants for their daughter.

I've flown DL across the ocean twice and both times I was very disappointed in Y, but that was a year ago.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked @ dl.com and it looks like it's DL metal to AMS on the non-stop flights...which is why I edited my post. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For a minute I thought I needed my eyes checked, thanks for saving me a trip to the doctor. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, you're good!

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't help on this because I've never done NW or DL in coach either TATL or TPAC. I've always been in business or even IFC back in the day before it was discontinued. I also haven't yet been on a plane with the new economy comfort section of seats, so I haven't had a chance to take a peek at it on either DL or KLM. However, with AF it's treated as a separate cabin rather than just special extra-charge (for nonelites) seats.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know Delta does JFK to ACC. I've been on the plane before. 767 with big ole seats in 1st class. I enjoyed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are 3 direct flights from the U.S. to Accra.

Delta: JFK -> ACC
    Delta: ATL -> ACC
    United: IAD -> ACC

The United flight has the new business seats, so if you're flying business that might be good, or want the extra legroom from Economy Plus. This would require only a domestic connection.

Major airlines that fly to ACC are listed here, so depending on your alliance, and whether or not you want to break up your flight, you can choose to fly through Europe or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotoka_International_Airport

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH thru FRA?

jbcarioca likes this.