Best restaurant at ORD for lunch (with a few hour layover)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by raysian, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. raysian
    Original Member

raysian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best restaurant at ORD for lunch (with a few hour layover)?

2. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you are staying in the airport, you've got a few options, mostly of the chain restaurant variety. I like the new Wicker Park sushi/raw bar that opened up in Terminal 2 (it's on the walkway between commuter and mainline.

If you are leaving the airport, I quite enjoy lunch at Gibson's Steakhouse in nearby Rosemont. It's right by the Doubletree across from the convention center. I've taken many a long layover there over the years.

raysian likes this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If dining in ORD, I've become smitten with Rick Bayless' torta place in Terminal 1 (United)

details & menu: http://www.rickbayless.com/news/view?articleID=171

If you are going outside of ORD, just let me know, I live local & can provide details on many options.

Gibson's hasn't been the consistent restaurant it used to be IMO, more than likely one will have a good meal but I've been burned enough times not to give it a full thumb's up.

Wurm likes this.
  4. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie - any word on when the T3 Bayless location is supposed to open?

5. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Mmmm... that sounds good. I've got a couple of UA ORD transits in the next month and I will SO be checking that out!

Wurm likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have a few hours- take the airport shuttle to the Doubletree and have a nice meat lunch at Gibsons- great steaks and excellent service.
    http://www.gibsonssteakhouse.com/

Wurm likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    next few months is the best I could find ( http://sheaanything.blogspot.com/2011/02/ohare-welcomes-tortas-frontera-by-rick.html ) Perhaps a MP'er traveling through T3 could let the board know if there is an 'open by' date posted at the restaurant? (99.9% of the time I'm in T1)
    I think you'll be pleased, tortas can take 10 mins to make but mollettes are usually ready to go in a few seconds.
    did techgirl already suggest Gibson's?[​IMG]

Wurm likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Sweet Willie and also great call by techgirl! Somehow I missed that- oops! Anyway, a second vote from me.

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    just busting chops, I personally believe the more data points the better!

TRAVELSIG and Wurm like this.
  10. raysian
    Original Member

raysian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be landing at T3. Is there a way to get to T1 without going through security again?

Wurm likes this.
  11. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes - from your arrival gate, walk up to the end of the concourse (G, H, K or L), to the airside threshold area. Being sure NOT to leave the airside area, turn LEFT and follow the signs to terminals T2 / T1. In some places the walkway narrows, but as long as you don't make a wrong turn and leave airside, you'll be able to reach the secured part of T1 (time in minutes will depend on how fast or leisurely you walk). The restaurant is next to gate B11.

raysian likes this.