Best Properties for a first time visit to Paris

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by ryandc99, Jul 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello Everyone, I am going to be visiting Paris for the first time in February. I was looking and it seems there are quite a few PC properties in Paris.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for which ones would be a good location? I am a young single male, so being able to transit to tourist locations and some nightlife would be a plus too. Anyones reccomendations are highly appreciated!

Ryan

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Left Bank, 5th, 6th, and 7th arrondisements (or just slightly farther from the river, across the boundary). I prefer the 6th. The 5th seems particularly full of students and some parts can be run down, although it's generally cheaper. The 7th is a bit more residential with fewer entertainment places. Try to be close to one or more subway stations. Think also about how you plan to get to and from the airport; being within walking distance of the RER (light rail line, underground in central Paris) is much easier than having to connect with the subway when you have luggage. Alternatively, it can be good to be reasonably close to the airport bus stops (but allow extra time if taking the bus back to the airport) to avoid walking to a taxi stand and taking a taxi to your hotel.

Note: You can easily tell the hotel's arrondisement if you have the complete address. Paris postal codes (except for some special bulk mail sort of places) are 75001, 75002, etc. for the first, second, and so forth. Unfortunately most hotel search engines are not organized this way but rather define their own neighborhood areas or use proximity to landmarks. 5th is Latin Quarter including Jardin des Plantes, Musee du Monde Arabe, Sorbonne, Cluny, Jessieu. 6th is St Germain des Pres, Jardin Luxumbourg (continuing into the 12th), Odeon. Many hotels also indicate the nearest subway station just below the address, which can help you to pinpoint the hotel's location.

ryandc99, SC Flier and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Le Grande across from the opera which I believe is still flagged IC. While a solid notch (maybe plus) below the George V etc, this was one of the nicer IC's that I've been to.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    See my signature ;)

5. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks John! I am going to review your Trip Report tonight! Did you enjoy the IC? I was thinking about a CP or HI since the points required are so much less.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I loved it, the location could not have been better. It's not your typical IC design, I believe Stark so you'll definitely be in for a surprise, but the staff was lovely and it's hard to beat a view of the arc de triomphe from your balcony.

7. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know anything about any of the HI or CP properties?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, nope.

9. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at a Holiday in the in the 5th arrondissement (Latin Quarter). I hope my 5 years of French pays off. I was watching a movie with subtitles the other day and did surprisingly well.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed at the HI Notre Dame a few weeks ago, and the location can't be beat. You can walk to Notre Dame and the Louvre, close to several metro lines (St. Michel is just steps away)... new property so clean rooms. No complaints at all.

11. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Debral,

Can you give me more detail? I'm a plat and would be interested how this hotel compares with a Hotel Indigo. Is it one of the nicest Holiday Inns you have stayed at?

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the CP Republique last time I was there. Nothing fancy but it was cheap and the rooms were surprisingly large by my lowered European standards with a pleasant courtyard in the middle. Even if it isn't in the middle of things, it isn't on the fringe, the Metro is across the street, and the distances to most destinations are tolerable if you enjoy walking, as I do. My own attitude is that money is better spent doing things outside the hotel if you're new to the city.

13. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just booked the HI Notre Dame on points. Seems like a nice property in a good location.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, didn't see this. It's similar in size to Hotel Indigos, as far as number of rooms. But the rooms are much smaller than the Hotel Indigos I've been to (but it's also Paris), and of course there isn't the free internet or other amenities like free minibar. Plat amenities were one free drink in the bar, if I remember correctly. They were full when I was there, so no free upgrade. It's a great location, really easy to get around there. I'm sure you'll like the location for your first time in Paris!

ryandc99 likes this.
  15. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I lived in Paris and have been there a few dozen times. Just looking for a cool easy hotel I can go to with a great boulangerie nearby. Eyeing 15000 pts and $60 at this property so your help is appreciated.

16. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did the same thing. The points and cash combo is a great way to spread your points out.

17. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being so close to Notre Dame and the Louvre, the HI Notre Dame has a lot of restaurants around it, but they are typically overpriced for what you get. There are a few exceptions, including some of the creperies on rue del la Huchette, which spurs to the east off St. Michel square, and Le Topoly for delicious chawarma (right around the corner on rue Saint Andre des Arts). I think there are some decent boulangeries up on Boulevard St. Germain, which is just a few blocks away from the hotel. I'm a breakfast person, so I couldn't do the croissant and espresso 'breakfast' after a few days. I need copious amounts of coffee to live, especially when I'm tired from doing too much sightseeing. So we walked 20 or 30 minutes over to Breakfast in America for the bottomless cup of Joe and something with eggs before heading out and exploring for the next eight hours.

The HI ND is also right next to St. Michel metro, and is two blocks from St. Michel RER and Odeon Metro stations. Really handy to have multiple lines, as we found you had to re-route yourself from time to time on the metro due to a station being closed for construction or other reasons.

I really wouldn't hesitate to stay at the HI Notre Dame again, but I especially recommend it for a first-timer to Paris. St. Michel is in a perfect location where many neighborhoods come together. So if you walk in different directions each night during your trip while staying at HI ND, you would have a really good idea of how the Left Bank differs from the Right Bank, and which areas fit best with what you enjoy most while staying in the city. I am a city planner by trade though so what I find to be good for a first timer may be a bit skewed toward urban experience reasons.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a great location, right in the center of things and oriented toward young people and students, but please beware of street crime in the area. Pickpockets work the crowds here and the standard scams are very common. Watch your belongings, especially in crowds are around distractions. Enjoy sidewalk cafes but watch that your stuff doesn't get grabbed. This area seems also to attract the homeless of Paris.

19. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, there are a lot of homeless around the Seine, but they didn't seem to bother me. The street hawkers got annoying after awhile, but they are everywhere it seems.