Best Program to Credit an Emirates First Class Flight to?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Jan 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I might have an upcoming flight in Emirates First. My simple question is: which program is the best to credit the Emirates First Class flight to?

I think you can get Alaska miles, Korean Air, or Japan Air miles. Any others out there that make sense and also have good earnings rates?

2. JWHPN

JWHPN Silver Member

Status Points:
    To me, its a toss up between Alaska and South African. Earning rates are about the same. Alaska has a pretty diverse set of partners, but so does South African,AND they're Star Alliance. They each have their award sweet spots, just very different ones. A lot depends on how many miles you're going to accrue. Figure that out, check the award chart for a sweet spot you can take advantage of and go for it. My personal suggestions: SA, its 50K for J ticket from North America to Hawaii on *Star partners. It goes down to 40k if you orginate in the Caribbean or Central America. Also 85k to Europe from NA isn't too shabby either.

3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I'd be accruing that many miles to where it would make sense for SAA but I guess it could make sense to allocate future Star flights to SAA instead to meet the threshold for an award. The award chart also looks pretty attractive for NA to Europe or South America in J too.

From the SA chart, it looks there is a value in the MK awards b/w Africa and NA for just 53k in J if I lived in DC and was going to Dakar. Otherwise, I think the main values are in the Star chart.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is any way to transfer points / miles to SAA. At least you get 3 yrs before they expire so there is some time to earn that award ticket.

4. JWHPN

JWHPN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it looks like they do have some hotel partners that could be useful, and although that generally isn't a good use of points, consolidating orphan points for a flight isn't a bad idea. Say, If you have Club Carlson points you're willing to move from their promos. Best transfer ratio is probably Hyatt pts, but I personally don't have nearly enough Hyatt points to justify transfer.

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips... although it's hard to give up 50k Hyatt points for 25k SAA airlines miles considering they are worth 2 nights at a top end Hyatt.

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but realize that they expire after 3 years (though with flying SAA you can renew them for a 4th year). This is common in Asian programs, too.

From: https://www.flysaa.com/us/en/voyager/AboutVoyager/flysaa_VoyagerProgrammeOverview.html

"Miles are valid for three years after the year in which they were earned. Miles due to expire will always be reflected on your mileage summary. Awards can be requested before Miles expire and used within 6 months for Air awards and 3 months for Non-Air awards from date of issue. However, if they are not used within this period they will be forfeited. Miles will expire each year on 31 March. However, if by the end of the preceding calendar year, you had flown a minimum of 5 000 Tier Miles on South African Airways only or flown 3 000 Miles on SA Express, Miles due to expire in the current year will be carried over to the next year and will remain valid for a further 12 months."

7. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same question, tough call but I went with Alaska because I tend to save my miles and AS miles never expire so long as there is activity in your account. I would prefer to spend miles but generally refuse to do it unless I can find saver award tickets. Unfortunately that has become increasingly more difficult to do, particularly as I tend to travel during peak seasons.

One benefit to crediting EK to AS is that your miles will count as EQM towards AS status. And with AS status, you get perks on DL and AA as well.

8. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Defly credit them to Alaska Airlines---they hold no allegiance to one alliance, and are partners with Korean, Delta, and American.