Best product from New York to Houston

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by benjiM, May 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. benjiM

benjiM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey all, just curious as to your opinion on what is the best flight product from New York to IAH. I'm looking for best seat/experience or coolest flight (787/A380/747-8). Thanks for your time.

*Edited to fix arrival city

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you mean to JFK or Houston as listed in the subject? If Houston, HOU or IAH?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No carriers in the USA fly the A380 nor the 748i so that's simply not going to happen between two US cities. Sorry. I suppose you could connect in Frankfurt but that would take quite a bit longer and cost quite a bit more.

Only United is operating the 787 in the USA right now and I think that ORD-IAH is your best bet to snag that one; you'll have to leave from LGA or EWR to get to ORD on UA.

If you're going to be in coach anyways I'd say that the JetBlue flights JFK-HOU offer the best coach product overall.

edekba and MX like this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As Seth said, you're only bet is the 787 either ORD-IAH or possible LAX-IAH if you are able to find a way to ticket JFK-LAX-IAH, which would get you a better product (if you're in an updated plane JFK-LAX) and then potentially a 787 LAX-IAH. Unfortunately I don't believe you can ticket this very easily at a decent price.

5. benjiM

benjiM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry guys, I edited my first post to correct my error. I can leave from any NYC airport and arrive at IAH. This booking will be for march/April 2014 so if there are any new flights starting by then, I would love to here about it. Sounds like 787 from ORD to IAH is the best bet. Any three class configurations from NYC to IAH? Best business class product?

6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than a private jet I would have to guess some random United flight with good equipment or an equipment reposition. Or you could book an Avios reward that hubs through Madrid :)

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, there are no 3-class products. And 9 months from now the 787s might not be flying the same domestic turns. They mostly do that no for training/utilization purposes, not because there is a demand for premium service on those routes. United (and Continental before) has typically moved a couple international config planes between IAH and EWR each day between flights to South America and Europe. That's the best bet you have of getting a "good" seat on the route if you're in business class.

At the end of the day it is a ~4 hour trip. Adding 50% travel time just to get a slightly better seat for a couple hours seems a questionable move IMO.

edekba likes this.
  8. benjiM

benjiM Silver Member

Status Points:

Agreed!

9. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another option for a "premium" product could be to fly UA P.S. from NY-SFO/LAX, then route to IAH.

10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or just get a good direct flight between the two cities.

It's domestic flight under 4hrs. What are you realistically expecting? Trying to route to LAX/SFO or any other intl. city to try to get a better/cooler plane is pretty silly.