Best Price Guarantee?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by alohastephen, Sep 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone ever sucesfully filed a best price guarantee claim with Intercontinental?

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/c/2/content/dec/cn/0/en/rd/rate/lowguar.html
    Best Price Guarantee
    The Best Price Guarantee is our promise that the best hotel room prices for any InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) property can be found directly on our Web sites. If you find a lower price on a competing Web site for the same hotel, type of accommodations and rate restrictions on the same date(s), we’ll not only match that lower price, we’ll give you your first night free. It's that simple.​

Since it is only the first night that is free, I wonder what would happen if I made seperate reservations back to back? Would each reservation be available for the Best Price Guarantee?​

2. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Iirc, the T&Cs don't allow that. Consecutive nights are considered 1 stay for BPG purposes.

GoodBoy, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:

4. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried to do a hotel search in Japan on Kayak.
    The Kayak reults came back in US dollars but when I tried to compare the IHG results, they only came back in Japanese Yen.
    Does anyone know how to switch the currency to dollars on the IHG website? I only see a seperate box to manually calclate the currency. Would doing a seperate conversion be applicable when doing a best rate guarantee?
    For example: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c...mSearchResult=yes&viewHotelPackagesFlag=false

5. BlueDog

BlueDog Active Member

Status Points:
    If you go through ihg.com, as you apparently have, I don't see that option; however, through priorityclub.com, you can change the currency (it's next to the "sort by" box) on the search results page or the page for the individual property.

6. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    now the agent insists my claim not to be instant confirmation when its in bright red bold that it is. They've gotten someone in china to translate a chinese site and, based on some terms that avoids you being walked (if its truely not available then we'd put you elsewhere), rejected my claim. I could even go to the payment page.

These guys simply did not want to allow a valid claim to go through. unless when its sometimes too obvious that its right...

GoodBoy, man on the move. and snap like this.
  7. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    This so-called program is on par with Hilton's BRG - awful, just awful.

The competing site I used for comparison had two rates - one non-refundable, one with flexible cancellation. For some reason, the agents keep referring [by email] to the non-refundable rate as not having the same T&Cs. No shhhh, sherlocks. Finally got verbal confirmation via phone. Days passed with no further email, or rate change in my rez. Finally today... got another "sorry, your claim is not valid" email.

Useless, absolutely useless. Steer clear. Go to Marriott.

man on the move. likes this.
  8. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is simply a con.

Simple just make the terms and conditions for rooms different between sales on your site and all others. Like include or exclude Internet or breakfast.... Cancellation policy or something non material.

snap likes this.
  9. bartla

bartla Silver Member

Status Points:
    GoodBoy likes this.
  10. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got a successful BRG for recently. I think I was lucky because someone was rejected because the comparison rate has a cancellation policy that is slightly different from IHG's (noon vs 6pm hotel local time on date of arrival).

I wouldn't dare to book a non-refundable rate because with all the BRG horror stories I've decided to only do BRG on flex rates (when advance purchase rate is no longer available).

GoodBoy likes this.
  11. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    BPG worked for me today like a charm. Looked up a hotel in NYC for 1 night stay for tomorrow on IHG site. Then found an overnight sale on Hotels for the same room. Booked a room on BFR, since BAR (20% off) had to be booked further in advance. Called BPG CS five min later. Submitted a claim, got a confirmation. Received a confirmation email that my stay is free 30 min later. Now, IHG BPG policy mentions restrictions match as well. BFR allows you to cancel, Hotels do too but their free cancellation policy is only valid for Hotel's fees, not IHG hotel fees. Since this was a booking for the next night IHG would charge cancellation fees even on BFR. So it was a perfect match. I'm curious to see if this is going to be considered a QS, since technically the stay was booked on IHG site as a paid stay and not on RN. If it is then this would trigger some bonuses as well and could be seen as an evolution of MR :D

GoodBoy likes this.
  12. lineover

lineover New Member

Status Points:
    I just tried to use this service and it's crap - and the lower price was actually on their website! Glad they treat their platinum elites horribly.

13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not a "service". The whole point of the program is to guarantee the lowest price on their website. They set BPG to compensate you in case it's not so. You have a rather convoluted view of the program.

GoodBoy likes this.
  14. I think you do too. Using it as a method to simply reduce your overall costs is not productive and will eventually result in cancellation of the program

GoodBoy likes this.
  15. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone received a confrimation on a BRG from IHG and then later the Hotel said the claim was invaild. Are you protected from IHG in this case. Curious to know. Thanks and Safe Travels

GoodBoy likes this.
  16. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know a few people got this and a guy got the claim revoked AFTER he checked in - the answer is you don't know. IHG can choose to reimburse you or they can simply revoke your claim.

GoodBoy and Flying Machine like this.
  17. nickfromct

nickfromct Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've made several sucessful BRG claims and never had any problem at the hotel. Thy've actually gone much smoother than I had anticapted.

GoodBoy likes this.
  18. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks nacho.. I had filed the claim. and IHG said that the Hotel will need to approve the claim ( this is when I had made the post above ) Update: Since then I received an email stating that the Hotel has approved my claim. Only took a day or so. Very efficient system in my eyes. Thanks and Safe Travels

GoodBoy likes this.
  19. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    We never had trouble except 1 hotel. The GM first refused the second free room (it was allowed back in 2011) and then refused to honour the night even though he agreed to adjust the rate.

Yes as long as the hotel agrees then there is no problem. The worse is if the hotel tries to fight back.

GoodBoy likes this.
  20. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone attempted a BRG claim recently? I have a trip coming up and see that most other web sites have exactly the same rates as the IHG site, unlike the situation a month ago when I searched for hotels in another city. Has anyone else noticed this?

21. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may want to check out on FT, there are a few 'experts' there that might be able to help you.