Best Premium Class between JFK and LAX/SFO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Explore, Aug 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have some experience with UA's p.s. service, and don't always find it a top-notch product. Plus the lowest economy fare with a Sunday evening return now tends to be sky-high (like $750 to $800), so I can't justify paying the fare and upgrading. I'm looking at award travel, therefore it's time to investigate AA and DL. Any recent experience with AA's F or C products, or DL's Business Elite? DL availability at the medium award tier (still 80K pesos return) is way better than AA or UA saver a month or two out.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's info on these issues in the DL forum but 80K miles seems high and the miles now become nonrefundable (even for a fee) without 72 hours of travel. Remember that at a penny a mile, 80K miles equals $800, while many manage to get several times this as value for miles even with DL. You might be able to find a A or P fare on the route, for discounted BE class. However, upgrades in advance (for miles or SWUs, either of which requires a YBMHQK fare, so not deep discount) are extremely rare on this route, as are free upgrades based on status before the gate (battlefield).

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the best way to getting into UA ps first is by buying US Airways Miles (or participating in the upcoming Grand Slam promotion) and pay the domestic first class rate (50,000 miles) for roundtrip ps first.

Also consider Virgin America as well.

4. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great feedback, thanks. Any reviews of service quality in AA or DL premium cabins on this route?

5. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly JFK SFO and JFK LAX at least a few times a year in first. Very comfortable seats, excellent service, very good food. My most recent flight was JFK LAX a few weeks ago and it was about as good as it can get.

In addition, here is a review from my colleague Paul Riegler at Executive Road Warrior:

American Airlines Flight 179, New York to San Francisco
    By Paul Riegler
    [​IMG]