Best Premier Card Programs that Complement Premier Hotel Status ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Lighthouse, Jun 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

In our recent hotel stays I have found that by combining our AMEX Platinum hotel program benefits with our premier hotel status benefits that I am receiving better upgrades in rooms, free breakfasts, dinners, nights, minibar, etc.

While at times there is overlap of these benefits ( e.g. late checkout) more often they complement one another and create both a very comfortable and affordable stay. To my surprise after factoring in free night promotion and stay credits the pricing I am getting from the AMEX Platinum program is often better than the best rates I can get from the hotel themselves while still giving me full credit to retain my status in that particular hotel loyalty program.

I have heard of other card programs (Visa Signature, MasterCard Virtuoso, etc.) and travel services (travel zoo, jetsetter, sniqueaway, etc). I would greatly appreciate your insights on which of these programs also can be very beneficially combined with hotel premier statuses, while offering very good pricing and credit toward the hotel loyalty program.

While these benefits would appear to center solely around hotels loyalty programs I would be interested if there is any applicability to either airfare or car rental loyalty programs as well.
    duker likes this.
  2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

This may be a more limited answer since I am talking about the AMEX Centurion but a few years ago, we had a stay at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome. First two nights booked thru AMEX Centurion and the last three on Hyatt points with enough points for a suite.

We got an upgrade from the Centurion to a massive, magnificent suite (standard room booked). Then we stayed in the room for the next stay. The following day, we were asked to come to the front desk and they wanted to move us down to a Junior Suite for our points based stay but they said it was because there was some construction and they wanted us to have a quieter room. When I asked if it would be the same room type, they said no. I asked the hours of construction and they said 10 AM to 4 PM. I told them we would be out during those hours and would it be okay if we stayed put - not the answer they were expecting but they were kind and classy enough to say, "our pleasure."

While never stated, it was clear the upgrade was due to the Centurion card and that when that was over, they wanted me in the regular "suite" room that comes with points. BTW, we were Hyatt Diamonds at the time.