Best Possible SPG Properties for Platinum Member Redemptions

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by gleff, Jul 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    One of the meeting planners at work, a friend who used to report to me, is getting married.

She's an SPG Platinum from meeting spend, there's a Westin right next door to the office after all. And she's got somewhere in excess of 700,000 Starpoints. (She also has a few hundred thousand American and United miles, and nice stashes of Marriott and Hilton points, probably other accounts I'm not thinking of like BA from the 100k signup bonus etc)

Naturally I'll book award tickets for her. But what specific properties should she stay at on points?

For the moment I'm even leaving aside the places she'll go and things they'll want to do, though they do both happen to be pretty active people.

I'm just wondering what properties offer the best combination of luxury and Platinum recognition such that she'll get even more than she's paying for as it were? With, obviously, little constraint on the points side though she'd probably not go in for the category 7 all-suite properties charging 70k+ points per night.

Maybe St. Regis Bangkok for a city hotel. but what resorts?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on their style, obviously either W or St R would be good, but I'm not sure I'd want too many so similar hotels on the same trip. The better LC properties could be more fun for their uniqueness.

ADDED: The two properties that I immediately think of as being a bit unique in a romantic way are the US Grant and The Nines, but unfortunately their standard Plat upgrades are still very small with small bathrooms, nice for one person if you're not planning a relaxing bath, but not for two, especially on a honeymoon.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    >>Le Royal Méridien Shanghai<<

SPG Category 4

Great location on peoples square with great views.

Treats Golds very well, I would imagine Plats even better.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I had a wedge shaped junior suite with both Bund and People's Park views. The window over the bathtub was fun. The lounge isn't bad, although it closes for food and drink about the time arrivals from the USA get there and they are not flexible about giving a drink at the magic hour. This is a large property and I wasn't particularly impressed by the service.

The St Regis also treats Plats very well (Shangahi-Pudong), but it's more for mature guests IMO, not a young twenty-something couple. They try hard to find full suites for Plats, including giving suites about the select standard category (which do not have skyline views). Plats get executive lounge access, although they have cut back on evening food presentations and exhibition cooking. I'm not sure if Plats still have the downstairs buffet breakfast option. The suites have a relaxing Asian feel with big luxurious marble bathrooms, including TV in mirror and separate large tub and shower stall, but there's not at all an edgy modern vibe like the LRM on the Puxi side.

sobore likes this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, as much as I love great hotels and resorts, I would not make a decision on where to get married or honeymoon based strictly on the resort and room that I can get. What is most important to me is where I travel to and what I'll be doing while there.

Can you help us with some insight into what your friend would like to be doing?

hulagrrl210 and Fiji like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't the time to be focusing on upgrades ... She should simply use the points to book the room category that she wants. At 700k points, that's enough for run of house rooms for +/- 6 weeks at even the highest category properties (when you take into account the stay 6, pay 5 deal).

While you should never be wasteful with points, a honeymoon is the time to splurge. The highest non-suite category at most cat 7 hotels is only a few thousand points beyond the entry level room, so the incremental points aren't a big deal. If she really wants a confirmed suite, even at the double points level, she has more than enough to cover the trip.

If she's going to have an SPG-sponsored honeymoon, go to the SPG-resorts website and start from there. There are a number of St regis, Westin, w, meridien and luxury collection properties that she could consider. Punta mita or Bahia are close to home, princeville or bora bora a bit further afield. None of these are ultra high end properties, but in general they're quite nice.

Once the bookings are made, then call to introduce yourself to the rooms division manager - mention SPG Plat - honeymoon, etc. And all should work out nicely.

Honeymoons aren't the time to play upgrade lotteries.

iloveawardtravel likes this.
  7. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    We really did like the St. Regis Bangkok - so if they are in the mood to go to asia, a stop in BKK seems natural. The hotel is really lux, but also feels young and hip...

Other than that, agree with NYBanker's advice. Have had good experiences contacting hotels in advance and mentioning special occasions.

8. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Restless and NY Banker that for a honeymoon I would try to romantically pick a place that they both love or have dreamed of going too. I also agree that if you are going to splurge this is the time to do it.

I am attaching a "wonderful" earlier thread (actually one you contributed too) which might contain a few useful suggestions.. though it does not deal with the issue of platinum benefits:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/which-are-the-most-exceptional-starwood-hotels.1230/

9. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    After of course deferring to the objectives of gleff's post....I shamelessly would appreciate any commentary that any members have to update this older thread as well. I will also try to add an extra dimension to this thread by including which locations are most generous to premium members as well as honor them for points/free stays. Member input greatly appreciated.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    St Regis Bahia Beach-Puerto Rico
    St Regis Punta Mita
    St Regis Monarch Beach

Kalboz likes this.
  11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhh...the scene of the crime!

iloveawardtravel and DeltaExpert like this.
  12. heakja

heakja Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about Westin Excelsior in Florence? They are usually very generous with their platinum upgrades, the hotel is magnificent and posh, the city romantic - and it is easy to escape the crowds on day trips out of the city to Tuscany (or even better/lesser people, to Umbria). And if you make the booking with a Virtuoso agent, you get free breakfast and a bottle of wine (at least what we got) thrown in as well!

13. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't roll the dice on a honeymoon, for Gawd's sake. They should choose the best place they can afford, whether it's cash or points or both, based on what they would most enjoy. If an upgrade or other Plat recognition is important, then use those points to pay for it, lock it in, and know they are getting exactly what they want.

Cheers,

14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree the Westin Florence is nice and Umbria/Tuscany are among my favorite regions in Italy.. honeymoons
    plans IMHO should be more laid back (pardon the pun:)) beach settings, sussets etc
    W Fort Lauderdale, Miami or one of the Mexican properties... not sure trekking to Asia and in particular China fits that bill even you are flying out CX F .

15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all comes down to the individual's style. Plenty of people get bored with the beach after a few days.

iloveawardtravel likes this.
  16. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would vote for a trip around South America (Peru) - Tambo Del Inka is spectacular and a bargain on points (Cat 4) and a great destination for active people. You can then probably visit the SPG property in Paracas as well or if more adventurous go to Villarica and stay at the new resort there (and hike the volcano).