Best options for last minute travel with baby?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by misterbwong, Jan 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    What would be my best options for last minute (first & biz) award travel, LAX to Taipei, with a baby?

My wife and I are having a baby in Feb so I won't know for sure if we will be able to travel until right around April/May (babies are a mystery to me :p). Planning has been a challenge so I was hoping some of the gurus here could give some suggestions! :)

Our miles are semi-split between programs. I'd be willing to sign up for CC's if I need them to complete the trip

Our points/miles balances:
    ~200k UR
    ~90k MR
    ~90k AA
    ~68k UA
    ~100k/54k US (split accounts)

Wants:
    1. Need to be able to get 2x seats (+ lap infant) in the same cabin. I'll probably need to do piece together one way awards to make this work.
    2. Looking for seats on planes OTHER than EVA (royal laurel). It's a great option but I was hoping to see what other options are out there
    3. Would like the widest seat possible for travel with the infant. Usually this means F but SQ J would be awesome as well.
    4. Max 1 connection.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!! :D:D

2. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    All I would say is wait till the baby is at least 3 months old. My first 2 were great babies, the last one was colicky 24-7... Hopefully your child will be super easy but u never know!! Plus, it's a big adjustment until the baby and u are able to get a good nights sleep... Usually around a few months old. Good luck!!

misterbwong likes this.
  3. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you must travel with a little one for reasons unknown to us, learn about hands on parenting early on and one parent must stay awake during the flight to take care of the baby as soon as there are signs of his/her being fussy. This requires taking turns for sleeping and being proactive with the feeding and diaper changing times, so that others don't get disturbed too much. After birth, the young one should be kept away from people (relatives/friends/visitors) to protect it from any cold viruses. Flying with a cold can damage their ears and the pain felt, specially during take-offs and landings is excruciating. Enjoy the little one and good luck.

misterbwong and boondr like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not only cold.

Definitely would discuss my plans with my child's pediatrician.

misterbwong and boondr like this.
  5. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good tips!