Best options for 22-year-old renter

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by adambadam, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Curious if any one has experience renting a car when they are <25yo? I need to rent a car out of XNA in May for a weekend and I am trying to see what the best deal is in my case. I saw that Hertz has a promo to waive the age differential fee though it gives me an error for the XNA location. At this point I don't ever really rent cars frequently enough to worry about points with one car company though if I could somehow get airline miles out it I guess that would make it slightly better.

Thanks for the advice.

2. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not super familiar with the Gold Family program and the related CDP that waives the UA fee. There's a thread about it on FT you might find useful.

Beyond that, it's hard to get the UA fee legitimately waived. A couple organizations you might be able to join and get the fee waived at some agencies would be the American Bar Association ($175 to join, IIRC, if you're not an attorney but are "interested in the work of the ABA"), which may waive the UA fee at Hertz, and USAA (you don't need to be military to get a checking account with them, which would be good enough to be able to use the USAA code, which may waive the fee at a few companies.

Maybe this is enough to get you started looking. :)

3. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I rented cars a couple times a while ago before I turned 25. The research I did then concluded that Enterprise in certain locations was the only company that didn't always charge extra for UA. That said, I've never seen a rental car company rent to anyone under 25 at airports without the extra fee, which is why I'm guessing your promo didn't work for XNA.

Your best bet is to also check non airport facilities to find out about UA fees, if that is even an option with your itinerary.

4. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only one I've ever seen was Avis in ANC, who doesn't charge a UA fee. But they're an independent franchise and can set their own rules.