Best non-point redemptions

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Dec 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to create a list of the best cash or "closest to cash" redemptions possible.

For example sapphire card-you can do a 1:1 statement credit but with amex I think it is only 1:.5

So like can you use 50,000 southwest points and turn those into gift cards and sell them?

Thanks

Newscience and satman40 like this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than the sign up bonus it is a losing game to make a buck.

As for Gift Cards or Merchandice, the value needs to be discounted to move the product.

If you get caught moving miles, they chop your head off.

International travel is your best buck, so I'd find a few international traveling friends and move the points their way...

Closest to cash, hard way to gain a buck..but I am listing,

My wife is good about giving my miles away, never see any cash...

3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes my wife is good about giving miles away as well. Oh we have so many and they are so easy to get.

Newscience, boondr and satman40 like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what happens when you marry an out of country lady.

They are cute, but the phone calls and the travel cost will kill you.

So we Thank God for

FaceTime, and The Miles Game.....

daninstl likes this.
  5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But aren't there redemptions for gift cards from like United points?

satman40 likes this.
  6. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wife "giving away" miles is a common theme I guess. This week she volunteered to use our miles for my sister-in-law's(brother's wife) mother to visit our future nephew when he is born. Now, mind you, a domestic flight for miles isn't really a big deal, but there isn't any saver availability for any airlines around the due date and we met this woman once at the wedding. I am caught debating whether I should just use cash because it is a very poor value.

vickers likes this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd use cash if it's a bad deal unless you don't like to do international travel. Oh and I guess using miles for your sister-in-law's mother to visit some other person is better than having your wife use your miles to have your Mother-In-Law visit you :)

boondr likes this.
  8. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mother-in-law passed (RIP) 1 month after we got married, I guess she couldn't handle me.

Actually in all seriousness she was wonderful, but melanoma is a horrible thing.

daninstl likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife father passed, about a month after we got married the trip was $4600.00, in the back of the plane, and it was a lot of money.

I told her I would book it for her, it was First Class I told her it was free., it was a lot different ride, from the first trip she took to this country.

My wife deals with Cancer everyday, We have a high rate in our area of the country. In some countries the rate is very low.

Most of our miles are given away, with the 10 year Visa, it will only get worse...

Still it is good to see everyone happy.