Best noise-canceling ear buds (earphones)?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by beach1103, Mar 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been using Bose Noise Canceling Headphones (Bose Quiet Comfort 15) for 10+ years and love them but I am in the market for a smaller pair of Noise Cancelling Ear Buds. I am one of those people that either listen to Channel 9 or music the entire flight and these will get a lot of use.

I figured who better to ask for a recommendation on noise-cancelling ear buds than a group of frequent flyers like me. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    edekba and beach1103 like this.
  3. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks!!! Will check them out....

4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also used to own Shure earphones, but I can't tell the difference in audio quality, and Shure is much more expensive.

beach1103 likes this.
  5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I
    I'm a really big fan of in-ear phones by eytmotics. Some are in the mid-tier price-wise, others are at the high-end. They, like the Shures and similar products, aren't active noise-canceling, but they're actually more effective. If you really want to go all-out, get some custom ear molds. Then they're incredibly comfortable--I don't even feel them in my ears--and have a perfect seal to keep out noise.

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any set of phone + Comply are great.

I have a set of S4 and UE Trifi

genemk2 and beach1103 like this.
  7. tokomu

tokomu Active Member

Status Points:
    I have been using Sony MDRNC100D Digital Noise Canceling in ear head phone and very happy with it. Little over one hundred dollars on Amazon.

beach1103 likes this.
  8. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1. I had the ER-4P/S for quite a while, and it was a great set. The standard tips (the only ones I used) would get uncomfortable after long trips, so I moved on. The tips were very effective in blocking noise however; I would have a hard time hearing anything else. I now use Audio Technica CK-10 and I wouldn't leave home without them. Sadly, they are discontinued and quite expensive to find new.

9. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mean the ones that come with the iPhone aren't the best?!? :rolleyes:

10. thebkwee

thebkwee Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have or recently had:
    Sennheiser PXC250 Noise-Cancelling headphones
    > Low profile over the ear headphones which I quite like. They stay comfortable for me over long flights. My go to headphones when flying, particularly long distance.

Etymotic ER•4
    > Not active noise canceling but will seal out noise quite effectively. Great sound quality but kind of a hassle to get seated properly and once seated a hassle to take out and reseat. I seldom travel with these.

Sony MDR-NC33 Noise-Canceling Earbuds
    > I've gone through two pair of these. Lost the first pair and purchased another. Sound is OK and works well or me on short or medium length flights though after several hours they begin to make my ears sore.

Curve ball...
    I find all of the above improved when used in conjuction with a small headphone amp. I've been using a FiiO E6 and find it to be a worthwhile improvement.

HTH...

8MiHi and weevinweaver like this.
  12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a fan of my etymotic earbuds and have even replaced a set that I left on a plane. At the same time, one method that I enjoy is using ear plugs under over ear headphones like Bose noise cancelling / Studio Beats by Dre as it really keeps the noise out and I can turn the volume to as low a level as I want.

13. weevinweaver

weevinweaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    The FiiO E6 amplifier is the best invention ever!

konoyaro likes this.
  14. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really like my Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b headphones. They sound great, block out the noise as well as everyone else's, they're comfortable, and are a lot cheaper than the Bose ones. One big plus is that they work like regular headphones if the noise canceling is turned off or the batteries are dead.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/1c7efaa15727a938/index.html

I've found the cheapest place to buy them is www.jr.com