Best New York Hyatt Award Redemption?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by THREEA4ME, Oct 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm debating what to do about an upcoming trip to NYC -- Arriving November 30 to Dec 3/weekend/3 nights -- in which I will be doing the usual: two broadway plays/museums/eating out:

I could really use some advice from other Diamond members about best price/value:

1) I could use FRTIME promotion and stay at the Wall Street property and pay about $1000ai for 3 nights. I don't believe you can use FRTIME For the advance purchase rate of $335 (with one night free), so I'd have to pay $425 and get one free -- $1000ai is not too appetizing -- although I would use my suite upgrade then. If I could use the advance purchase rate, that would bring 3 nights down to about $800ai -- with a suite upgrade -- might be worth it?

2) I could stay at the Andaz 5th or Wall Street and spend 66K points for what I assume will be a studio king type room. That seems like a lot of points. I assume the Wall Street room would be nicer for my wife and I than the 5th Avenue -- but I'd be in a better area with the 5th Avenue for theatre and dining, no?

3) I could stay at the Hotel Lex48 and use 45K -- save 21K -- and just figure that I won't be in the room that much anyway -- although with December weather, maybe I would be? --

Any advice is much appreciated!

(American has $300ai fares that weekend, by the way, from LAX)

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I was you; I'd do #3. Just for the sheer # of points saved.

and yes #2 5th is better than Wall ... but then again its NYC so you're a short subway ride away.

3. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree w/edekba's comments above. If you're not planning to spend a lot of time in the room anyway, 48 Lex is really a great deal on pts!

The Andaz experience is nice, esp. if you end up with a nice view, etc. but there are no guarantees (even when applying a suite upgrade), that you'll be getting a much better room/view for the money spent.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would do #3 - that property will not stay a Cat 4, so might as well get the value while you can!

marcwint55, viguera and IDGflygirl like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. The Wall Street Andaz is nice but I don't think it's worth the premium and certainly not a better redemption than the Lex48 for a short vacation-type of trip. For New York that time of year I'd much rather be in midtown, near Rockefeller Center / Radio City and the theater district... but maybe I'm biased because I work in the city. :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last time I was in NYC I stayed 1 night at the Lex48 and the following night at the Andaz 5th. On both stays I used a suite upgrade. The Andaz was my favorite, great location to Broadway shows (walking distance), as well shopping. The Splash suite at the Andaz definetly had that wow factor. Also, the room service breakfast given to Diamonds would make me choose the Andaz over the Lex48. If your looking to save on points/money the Lex48 is a great deal, plus I received 2 vouchers for drinks and a 50.00 meal credit if I remember correctly. Maybe, if you don't mind moving locations you can spend 2 nights at the Lex and splurge on the last night at the Andaz. Just depends on how much your willing to spend. At least by splitting the two stays you get to experience both properties and average cost down your out of pocket expense. Hopefully the wife won't mind.

7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rooms at Lex48 are very nice :) Enjoyed my stay there, only complaint is the elevators.

8. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was the complaint about the wait time for an elevator or something else (e.g., small elevator cabin)?

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I was there the elevators were nice but sounded like you were inside a freight train, but that was a while back :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is an old building, & the elevators are small & there is often a wait for them.

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't this property was a new construction?

12. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If so, that would surprise me, but I could be mistaken!:oops: It definitely did not have a 'new' construction feel!

marcwint55 likes this.
  13. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at both the Andaz 5th and Hyatt 48 Lex.

For points value, I would pick the 48 Lex. I had a nice room and was pleased with my stay, though I agree with Jimmy on the elevators.

Though the Andaz 5th is my favorite hotel in NYC. :)

marcwint55 and IDGflygirl like this.
  14. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just there (48 Lex) this past weekend and in regards to the elevators I hated them. I asked if there was a way to get to my room on the 5th floor other than an elevator and they said no. I had to wait 10 minutes for an elevator. I haven't stayed at either of the other 2 properties, but I had a fantastic one night stay (on points) that was upgraded. I think that this is a great value property and would use this to save my points for other trips!

marcwint55 likes this.
  15. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    says who?

Are you jumping on the bandwagon of people that think that it will become cat 5, or is this original content? :)

At some point, doesn't it become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

If you want to make a comparison to Tokyo, it would be nice if 48 Lex and the new Union Sq properties were cat 4, the GHNY Cat 5 (arguably, it really doesn't deserve to be cat 6 IMO) and the Andaz' and the new PHNY Cat 6. That leaves the new HP, not sure where it will fit rate-wise, in my fantasy I would like to see it as a cat 3 or 4 I guess.

But avg rates in NYC are seriously out of whack, so who knows ..

no, I don't really see any category reductions in the NYC in the near future. Just adding to the speculation.

-David

marcwint55 likes this.
  16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Avoid Wall Street unless you have business activities in that area. It is not convenient to theaters or much else. If you take a taxi, it will not be cheap from there. I often stay in that area for business and I hate the location.

Like many others have already stated, I would take choice number three. It is walking distance to theaters and pretty much anything you would want in midtown.

Most New York hotels are overpriced and not worth the cash or points necessary, so the most economic choice is usually the best if the area is good for you. Anywhere from 40th to 57th is usually close enough to get anywhere with ease.

viguera and LIH Prem like this.
  17. bringer
    Original Member

bringer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at 48Lex multiple times and it is my goto Hyatt property in the area. Great value on points for the NYC area. The 24hour club lounge / cappuccino bar is awesome..especially getting back from a long night in the city in the fall/winter. I have received exceptional upgraded rooms just for being a diamond on award stays.

Having said all that, I'm going to miss being Diamond come March 1st :)

Kalboz and IDGflygirl like this.
  18. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know there was a bandwagon to jump on, but common sense says it won't stay at that level. If you compare the average rates with that hotel and the other NYC properties, it isn't lower than they are much of the time. No reason to think it will stay a lower category. I'd say it will at least go to a 5. I like your plan, but I doubt it will play out that way. I could see the HP being a 4 at least at first since 48 Lex started there, but no chance Lex will stay a 4 (at least in my mind).

19. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really hope it stays as a category 4 -- let's not put any 'energy' in any other possibility (even if your 'common sense' tells you otherwise)!;)

20. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    As with anything in the miles and points world, I just think you should take advantage while it is around...as was advised to the OP! I'm all for it staying as it is. ;)

21. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks everyone!

Mommypoints, I read with interest your reviews of nyhotels so I think I will stick with the Lex.

Anyone have advice on best way to get to the hotel from JFK? I'll be arriving at 10p on a Friday night and have a 1:45p flight on Monday afternoon? Uber? Other car services? Or just a cab?

Kalboz and mommypoints like this.
  22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    People will jump in and say to take the train to the train to the bus to the zeppelin and a zipline then walk 63 blocks.

Just hop on a cab when you get there. It's a flat rate, traffic is gonna be a mess regardless and it's probably gonna take you a while, but you can just sit there and enjoy the ride. :)

edekba likes this.
  23. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://goo.gl/maps/3L01U

just 2 trains & a walk :) but considering its late I would cab in & train out.

Kalboz and RichardInSF like this.
  24. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another option is a car service like www.dial7.com they frequently have coupons in UA Hemispheres for $5 off. I use them every time I'm in NYC. It is much better then taxi and usually cheaper, plus much better leg room because most of the time they use a Lincoln town car.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  25. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I said, my plan was a "fantasy" and no way do I expect any reductions in category for NYC properties with the rates the way they are right now.

But I'm also not pushing for or posting about a cat change for 48 Lex either.

-David