Best MR for segments out of DFW in Sept to maintain EXP

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rajb12, Sep 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rajb12

rajb12 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all

I have checked the various relevant postings, but haven't come up with anything great.

I have some time off this month, and am short about 25 segments for 2013 for EXP.

Based in DFW, best I could find was DTW to SJU - 6 segments + 4 from DFW to DTW, but was around $800.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many EQM do you have? That might be easier. You just missed $60 segments to Alaska... thats the best i've seen so far. Nothing like the $39 Tyler segments two years ago.

How much more travel will you have this year and what's next year looking like? Is EXP actually worth the time and money for you?

You might look at flights on competitive routes like SFO that you could route through LAX instead...

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

3. rajb12

rajb12 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Mike. I have around 70K EQM. Since I'm lifetime Plat, and really enjoy EXP, I would like to maintain it. I do have some travel coming up, but realistically, with only 11 or so working weeks left in the year, doing some pre-planning.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's probably going to be easier and cheaper to get 30K EQM than 25 segments, especially out of Dallas. You might look at two cheap international fares if they go on sale. China is an option and once Qatar joins, Doha would be an option. The price will make the difference, but long haul will likely be easier to schedule, book, and with the right sale end up cheaper.

Edit: check out garyst's thread about the lax-bdl-lax MR.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

Assuming QR's earning rates with AAdvantage turn out to be more in the BA vein and not the CX vein. ;)

BA often has great prices out of DFW to various points in the ME. AMM/DOH/BAH tend to priced in the $700-$900 range quite often.

6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep a watch on AA and BA fares between now and November, from not just DFW but also other cities, If you want to go crazy for a few days, 30K can be done in one go, :) but more comfortably it may take a judicious mix of a few international and domestic flights. They have different pros and cons: International flights give more miles in one trip, but you need to take a couple days off, hotel expenses, etc.; domestic flights give fewer miles, but can be done in the same day, so no days off or hotel nights. Which choice or mixture works for you will depend on your taste and circumstances.

7. rajb12

rajb12 Active Member

Status Points:
    I found a trip to DXB which is on AA/BA, which would be roughly 18K miles (x2 for EXP?). Can someone help with a 10% coupon for September travel? Thanks in advance!

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    18k EQM, 36k rdm for plat or higher.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    18k EQM, 36k rdm for plat or higher.