Best Miles to Get for AF Flight - Newbie

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by healinginfluence, Aug 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. healinginfluence

healinginfluence Silver Member

Status Points:
    This November I will be flying IAD - CGG in B class on AF. I bought a ticket for the Thanksgiving holiday at a discounted price. I don't have a FF account with AF and set up the points to post to Delta. I am new here and have been reading that the Delta program is relatively stingy. I now have about 82,000 Delta miles. I am not a FF but like to take one or two long trips a year and a couple shorter trips a year, Should I have AF give me Delta miles or is there a better option?

Thank you.

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have 82,000 miles on DL, just credit the points there. Building a few thousand on AF isn't worth it.

Don't believe everything you hear about DL miles being SkyPesos. If you care to travel on AF (I'm fine with it), DL has access to the same low-miles inventory on AF as AF frequent flyers do. Frankly, most of my DL redemptions are on AF these days.

While DL can't be used for international three-cabin first class (so it isn't a sexy as UA or AA for many bloggers), I've had lots of success booking AF J transatlantic awards (using DL miles) for my family of four, even during peak holiday periods.

http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/a-family-adventure-in-paris-part-1-introduction.html

rwoman, Kalboz, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  3. healinginfluence

Status Points:
    Thank you NYBanker. I loved your post about your family vacation to Paris. It's very well written. I think it's great that your children enjoyed the parks as they did and played with French children.

I will have AF post the mies to DL as you suggest. For me B class is a luxury. I just reached a point in life when I no longer want to fly on long flights in coach. It's not my idea of a vacation. But I have to say I feel self conscious doing it.

I have a relative who lives in Switzerland, has plenty of money and travels all over the world in coach and seems fine with it. I feel as though I'm in a cattle car. So I started buying discounted Business class tickets and now want to exchange miles for B class tickets from time to time.

Great forum. Thank you so much.

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also agree that you should take the miles in Delta. While I don't think Delta is the best mileage program, there are many good trips you can use your Delta miles on. Our first trip to Bangkok was on Korean Air using Delta miles for five passengers. At the time we were able to book two first class for the wife and I, and three business for the kids. We weren't planning on going to Bangkok at the time, but the availability of all five tickets made the change in plans very attractive.

Other than the upcoming mega-do, I also will not travel overseas in coach. I am in coach on the mega-do as I could not justify $4000.00 for a 24 hour trip to Zurich. It seems to me that many Europeans are less concerned with comfort due to the difference in lifestyles. We in America tend to live in bigger homes, drive bigger cars and generally demand more in the area of comfort. There are certainly pros and cons, but the older I get, the more comfort I seem to demand.

healinginfluence and Kalboz like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. healinginfluence

Status Points:
    marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that Delta reps do not always know who their partners are. Sometimes you will either have to be very insistant or call back and get another rep on the phone.