Best Mileage Program for Reedeming on Ukranian International Airways(PS)

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Jason Fill, Nov 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason Fill

Jason Fill Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice for which is the best mileage program to use to book flights on Ukranian International Airways(PS). Basically I have a fair amount of miles in United, AmEx and UR and I would consider signing up for credit cards to facilitate awards redemption on PS from TLV to KBP. I earn my miles through credit cards and flying on UA. Several times a year I fly from TLV to KBP and would like to book using miles (if it's a reasonable amount) rather than pay the $450-$650 that PS charges. Ukrainian International is airline partners with Austrian, SWISS, KLM, TAP Air Portugal, Air France, and Etihad. I'm assuming KLM and Air France are going to be my best bets but I was wondering if anyone out there had any more creative suggestions for booking cheap tickets on PS. Another option is to fly El Al, but honestly I hate that airline so I would rather stick with trying to figure out options on PS - FYI, If anyone really knows how to manipulate the hotel programs they are partners with Club Carlson. Thank you.

Newscience likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'd probably want to check each program for an airline they partner with to make sure you can redeem on Ukrainian... it's not necessarily reciprocal. They're not in any alliance.

B1BomberVB and Newscience like this.
  3. Jason Fill

Jason Fill Active Member

Status Points:
    Miles & More and Flying Blue both confirm that they are redeemable on PS. Miles and More even redeems at the lower rate as TLV is considered as being in the European region/zone if one is resident in Israel. Etihad also confirmed that they are redeemable on PS - though I might run in to booking problems as the UAE and Israel do not have diplomatic relations and I have heard stories of booking problems on Middle Eastern carriers with flights into TLV.

chrislacey and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may not want to hear this, but as a US government traveler, I was not permitted to fly UIA. You may want to check the UIA safety record, and I'm unsure how to do this. When I fly internationally, I've flown with UA and then LH in this part of the world. And you may also want to consider that there are times in life (and flying) when you do get exactly what you pay for. Good luck!

Counsellor likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    From http://www.flyuia.com/eng/company/ukraine-international-airlines/uia/safety.html

"Ukraine International Airlines is the first officially registered IOSA Operator in the CIS which have successfully completed the IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA). UIA became the 51st registered IOSA Operator out of 230 IATA members, alongside KLM, Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, TAP and SAS which are also on the IOSA Registry."

"The IOSA Certificate has been recognised by the US Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) as such that meets the audit requirements of the U.S. Code-share Programme for foreign airlines seeking code-sharing contracts.

UIA have successfully underwent numerous code-share audits in the process of concluding code-share agreements with leading European airlines such as KLM, TAP, Austrian Airlines, Swiss International Airlines, Finnair and Iberia."

B1BomberVB likes this.
  6. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I might fly UIA next month; if I credit the miles to Austrian's Mile's & More program, is it also applied to Lufthansa's Miles & More program since they are pretty much the same? Rather, will the credit show up in my LH account? Doubtfull, but hopeful. Thanks!

7. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am also a Gov't employee and just researched this; Ukraine is an approved country (Cat.1) and thus UIA is approved for Gov't travel.

Newscience likes this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good to hear, given Mike Reed's posting above! It's been a couple of years since I was in the Ukraine, and always flew LH in and out of KBP. :)

9. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am actually flying Turkish Air instead of UIA; the times were much much better! Now I can take advantage of my Turkish Gold from the status match :)