Best Mileage Manager Program for Laptop and iPhone?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by konaflyer, Apr 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I know there are a bunch of mileage tracking programs, some free and some cost $. Which ones are people liking today? Which features make the program the best? Does it also transfer data to an iPhone? Thanks for all your help.

2. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi konaflyer.

And welcome to Milepoint! Glad to have you join us. :)

I don't know the answer to your question as I'm pretty loyal to WN and DL and track all my own mileage. Been doing it for decades.

But I'm sure some other folks will weigh-in here with their thoughts on your question.

See you around the forums.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    look at www.mileagemanager.com Has a lot of nice features. Will even help you look for award seating based on your program. Reasonable pricing too!!!

Cholula likes this.
  4. Thanks so much for the warm greeting.! This is my first time posting on this site.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    welcome and enjoy. There's an answer to almost every travel question you can think of.

6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    awardwallet is another good one

KENNECTED and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    you and Konaflyer related??? :p

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second that. I've tried almost all of them out there, but awardwallet is my favorite.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  9. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    hulagrrl210 and KENNECTED like this.
  10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 $5 donation for premium service is well worth it...

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for starting this thread - interesting topic for me. Have given you an additional couple of likes to get you going to Original Member :)

travelingmore likes this.
  12. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    First of all, welcome to Milepoint!! We hope you will enjoy your visits with us and become an active member of our community!

With regard to your question, I have used Mileagemanager in the past, but currently track my own mileage and points.
    One consideration of some of these programs is that some if not all of them require you to give your login and password information from some of the provider sites - and this would be a security concern (plus the airlines/hotels/car rental companies) frown on that--I thought I had heard of them trying to block access by these aggregator sites, but I may be mistaken.

In any case, good luck searching, and if you find something which works please let us know!!!

Welcome again!

13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    there are sometimes coupon codes available so you can get premium service for free for 6 months. I know there was one on listed here on milepoint not long ago, but not sure if it is expired. Perhaps worth a google search or if anyone knows of one, post here.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use (and help develop) GoMiles.com and I'm a fan. Among other things, it is fully free and offers suggestions on specific steps that can be taken to keep points alive rather than just alerting you to expiry dates. There is also a fare search engine that helps with the "buy or redeem" valuation issue. It can also track vouchers and has a few other fun bits, as well as a lot of stuff in the development pipeline. If you want to read more or ask questions about it there is a forum in Concourse Z just for GoMiles (as well as for AwardWallet)

To Art's point about the programs frowning on the methods these tools use, AFAIK only Southwest has actively pursued the issue, issuing a C&D letter to the companies who were scraping the data and presenting it anew.

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recall being able to nominate any amount. I chose $5, but I suspect $1 would work as well to get the premium access.

You don't need to pay anything, however, as their free service is pretty decent. I used it for a month, then "splurged" on the upgrade. I know I got a few extra features with the upgrade, but, honestly, don't recall what they were. I was pretty impressed with the free version of the site.

16. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use Award Wallet, it's free, easy and very friendly!!!

17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  18. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Extremely important point IMO.

I would never give out my PIN number for a hotel/airline program even if my mother was running the site.

Anybody who has your PIN number can wipe out your account in a heartbeat.

And any promises of "security", "privacy" or whatever from the mileage manager requires a level of trust that I'm simply not willing to grant.

19. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unless someone has several alliance airline accounts along with countless hotel and car accounts, I dont see why someone would take the risks of an aggregator site. Seems to me like a trusty spreadsheet will give you the same benefit plus protect your accounts from unwanted access. I'm probably in the minority on this since I maintain only a couple of FF accounts and dont have any hotel or car accounts.

20. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    With Awardwallet you have the option either to have them store your pin number or you can store it locally on your computer instead. The latter option then only works from one computer, but will give you enhanced security.