Best MIA Airport Hotel for Early Departure

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zshanlon, Aug 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yo,

Looking for recommendations on the best "airport" hotel for an early MIA departure. Ive got a 7am flight to the bahamas which isn't that early but I have 2 kids.

Best in my mind means, regular shuttle bus, nice rooms, a dining option for the night before and elite recognition.
    Thanks guys.

daninstl likes this.
  2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crowne Plaza is passable with 24 hour shuttle , preferably with a rate >USD100

many of the others are complete crap :eek:

zshanlon and daninstl like this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a cheap Holiday Inn nearby but average. If you have IHG points it's usually a cheap redemption as well. Can't remember if they have 24 hour shuttle but it should be available that time of day.

zshanlon likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite the opinions above:) ...there are quite a number of options but I will limit my comments to only properties that provide airports shuttle service.
    The closest (chain since you mentioned elite benefits) hotel to the airport (other than the airport hotel) is the Miami Airport Sheraton it was redone a few years ago and has a club lounge although it was a Wyndam in its past life but it is better than the current Wyndam on LeJuene Rd.
    The Sheraton also has a free shuttle to Coral Gables and if time allows that would be my afternoon dining preference... lots of quite good dining options and nice area for a short stroll around depending on the age of your kids.
    Also nearby is a quite new Element but it is in isolated location so you are going to be limited to that chain's meager dining options.

Hilton has eight hotels near MIA The Miami Airport Hilton, an Embassy Suites, a Doubletree, two Homewoods, two Hampton Inns and a Garden Inn.
    The Hilton has an Ok executive lounge and some sort of breakfast is provided at all the other hotels ( with your 7 am flight you might be a little early to get much) of these my personal preferences are:
    a)The Hampton Inn - South at Blue Lagoon they usually set out some muffins, Danish and coffee, apples bananas pretty early for you grab before you take the shuttle
    b) And my best choice is the newish HGI Airport -West.... note the new Homewood- West basically shares the same grounds/parking etc
    Its one of the better HGIs and has a full service restaurant and bar its also quite close to the International Mall if you have that interest.
    As HH Diamond I have stayed at all the above except the Doubletree and the older Homewood and have gotten elite good recognition at them all.

If on a weekend completely avoid the Crowne Plaza its usually completely overrun with cruise pax.

I am not a fan of the(old) Miami Airport Marriott and the Residence Inn and Courtyard are both adjacent to the Marriott... one thing I know is that the Residence does not provide a dinner option on weekends (Fri -Sun???) but I haven't stayed at either of the two properties so no real opinion.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    zshanlon likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Element is in great shape but you'll need to go offsite for dining. It's my favorite of the MIA airport hotels.

zshanlon likes this.
  6. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Sheraton MIA for an early flight to Grand Cayman. I opted for convenience, shuttle, club room, SPG credit. We only spent 12 hours there, but, from what I remember, it was not bad for an airport hotel.

zshanlon likes this.