Best Marriott in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by michael21, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys...I want to surprise my wife with a night on the town in downtown Chicago and since I've got some Marriott points to burn...why not? So we like modern hotels but not like blue light crazy modern...what's the nicest Marriott in Chicago?

Thanks

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the situation at the JW?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    a few people died from Legionnaire's disease. Supposedly they have traced it to a fountain in the lobby and it has been drained and cleaned.

5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sheesh. Pass.

marcwint55 and Mapsmith like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps there is extra award night availability? :eek:

edekba, marcwint55 and Mapsmith like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    spoken like a true milepointer

Jett Rink and edekba like this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't mind the location the Blackstone is my preference for MR hotels in Chicago.

9. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's wrong with the location?

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my opinion- nothing- that is why I stay there sometimes- others find it is a bit out of the way.

11. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would go with the Marriott Magnificent Mile (older but if you can get an upgrade they have some nice suites - large indoor pool). Another option is the Renaissance. These two are best location for full service. There are options - Courtyards, SpringHill Suites, Fairfield, Residence Inn - in this location as well. I think the North River location is best (or the Ren - right on the river, south side). JW is too far down in the middle of the loop.

macbookguy likes this.
  12. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 to what cova said about the Marriott on the Magnificent Mile. Normally if I'm staying around there though I go to the Hyatt Regency or Kempton's Hotel Monaco to get my goldfish room pet :)

13. NJUPINTHEAIR
    Original Member

NJUPINTHEAIR Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go with the Renaissance properties, either the Blackstone that has a nice blend of old and new but is opposite the fountains of Hyde Park and has great views of the lake, or the Renaiisance uptown that is near the start of the Magnificent Mile, it has great service and as I recall, a modern contemporary feel to id. The Blackstone is reported to have a great restaurant on site but I have not eaten there. In addition, one of the downstairs rooms was once the barbershop where Al Capone had his hair cut and face shaved -- and no, he did not get that scar on his face from the shave, else he would not have constantly frequented the place!

Enjoy and let us know your decision!

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have dined at the restaurant at the Blackstone- it is very good however is leased out from the hotel- so no points, no preferences etc- do book ahead as I do believe it is quite hard to get into without a fair amount of notice.

The lounge at the Blackstone is quite cute (and also usually very quiet). I have never been to the lounge at the other REN (if indeed it has a lounge?).

15. NJUPINTHEAIR
    Original Member

NJUPINTHEAIR Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure either as I was only there on weekends. I can't believe that one does not earn points at the hotel restaurant at the Blackstone, that is almost un-American. I would contest that if it is noted on their website, you should earn the points.

I know with the old EEO's this was one of the excluded restaurants, but I always thought that even if you could not do the cert thing there, that a charge to your bill from still generate the Marriott points multiplier as all Marriott hotel charges would.

If you are ever at the C/Y downtown Mag Mile and are a Plat, they will give you a coupon that states that if you spend over $10 on Room service or at their resto, they will award you 1,000 points! Easy to do and posted with my stay. I did it twice as I was staying 2 days! This gets around the no points for other than room rate at the C/Y and then some! I should add that their resto is very good and gets a great deal of walk in traffic, as well since it is right off Mag Mile and is reasonably priced, esp with the lunch time crowd.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  16. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a note - none of the downtown properties exec lounges are open on the weekends & they don't give brekkie coupons.

Have fun on your trip!

Cheers.

canucklehead likes this.
  17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ren on W Wacker is the better hotel

19. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have attended meetings here and stayed overnight as well- nothing wrong with the Ren however certainly just an OK barely four star american hotel- totally forgettable with the exception of the nice location.