Best Madrid to US frequent flier program?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by madridflier, Jan 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. madridflier

madridflier New Member

Status Points:
    Hi! I've recently moved to Madrid and I'm trying to figure out the best frequent flier program. I will be flying to different cities in the US several times a year (mainly the Midwest). I also want to travel around Western Europe as well, but my main priority is cheaper flights to the US. I have never been a member of a program before. Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you! Figuring out which program to choose felt overwhelming until I found this site!

Newscience, dstober and jbcarioca like this.
  2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi madridflier and welcome to MilePoint!

When you say you are looking for cheaper flights to the US, can you provide some more details? Are you looking to use miles for "free" flights booked with miles? Do you anticipate redeeming miles for economy or business? Alternately you may want to purchase economy tickets and upgrade to premium cabins using miles.

The more details you can provide will make it easier for us to make a better recommendation as to which program(s) to consider!

We have a very friendly and helpful community here and I'm sure you'll get some great advice :)

3. madridflier

madridflier New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Chris, for such a quick reply. I didn't provide many specifics! I'm more interested in using miles for "free" flights booked with miles, rather than upgrading to economy or business. As I've never used a miles program before, I'm not sure exactly what the options are, but I'm less interested in upgrading to better seats. Thank you!

Newscience, dstober and jbcarioca like this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Madrid is a major hub for OneWorld alliance, so you'll be likely collecting their miles. If you want to spend them on flights to USA without large fuel surcharges, consider depositing them to the AA program.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I concur with MX - very good advice! I flew Miami to Madrid in December on AA, it was a smooth flight with a great aircrew. And since it only took 15K miles to upgrade to business class, I was a happy camper! ;)

6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wife and I were over there last year, went with United and returned AA.

AA will be cheaper in miles for a while.

7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Iberia or AA most likely I'd say. Oneworld anyway. Compare the reward flights with a couple carriers based on what fuel surcharges they might charge would be a good idea also.

8. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    British Airways frequent flyer program can be good for short flights within the US or Europe - but you don't want to use them for trans-Atlantic flights, as they charge high fuel surcharges. But As of right now I believe you can transfer British Airways Avios points to Iberia, which doesn't have such high fuel surcharges for trans-Atlantic flights. So collecting British Airways Avios points may also be an option worth considering for your situation.

More info on how it works here: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/upd...ays-avios-to-iberia-avios-iberia-award-promo/

9. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just checking back in to see if you got the answer you were looking for, @madridflier :) I'm convinced AA would be the best, and we do have a dedicated forum for AA in case you'd like to ask more program-specific questions: Link Here

Newscience, dstober and madridflier like this.
  10. madridflier

madridflier New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks @chrislacey for checking back in! Just to confirm - I sign up for AA's program and then I am automatically part of the oneworld alliance? Thanks!

Newscience and dstober like this.
  11. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.