Best luggage for 100,000-mile-a-year flyer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by tw116, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am in the market for a new set of luggage. i am looking for luggage that is lightweight, durable, nice looking, easy to maneuver, and packs well. i fly a 100,000+ miles a year and usually check. any suggestions?

2. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm partial to Briggs & Riley right now. It meets my definition of the items you listed above. But that's me. A complete set of luggage for me is a rollaboard and a computer bag. The computer bag is a 11+ year old Tumi that's still hanging in there. I don't ever like to check luggage but that's a personal preference.

RedM3Pilot, TheMadBrewer and Aktchi like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never cared for Tumi, really. I think it looks kind of sloppy with all the leather pockets.

If you can find it, I'm a big fan of the Victorinox NXT 4.0 line. They just came out with 5.0, which looks cheap, and 4.0 is becoming hard to find. But the 4.0 series is rugged, compact, and has nice clean lines that just make it look well made.

4. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say the best luggage is something that isn't going to fall apart but isn't so dam expensive and pretty you worry about using it.

I have used Samsonite for years and it does me fine.

adambadam, piqaro, Kaanapali and 2 others like this.
  5. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No leather on mine. It's all ballistic nylon or whatever they call that very durable woven fabric they use.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  6. tomv
    Original Member

tomv Silver Member

Status Points:
    I switched to Briggs & Riley a few years back and am completely satisfied. I almost always check my bags and so far there is absolutely no sign of wear. Also Briggs & Riley offers a 100% no questions asked lifetime warranty so if any thing ever goes wrong it would be covered.

squid, inukshuk and diver90 like this.
  7. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same for me. While I am certainly no expert when it comes to luggage, we have been using Delsey for the last few years and are very pleased with the quality.

Kaanapali likes this.
  8. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never saw the need to pay for designer luggage when all I would do is then worry about how it was going to be handled! Rather save my money for upgrades I can't achieve via miles or points.

piqaro and kenbo like this.
  9. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using Briggs and Riley and am very happy with all my luggage and computer/business bag (with handles, strap, and even hidden backpack straps). My roll-a-board has served me well over 5 years and still looks wonderful after countless trips and my computer bag is 2 years young and still looks brand new. Both are ballistic nylon.

I also have luggage I check ... it's still intact albeit dirty after being lost for about a week, flying around the globe and what looks like being rolled over by some vehicle (the tire marks were a dead give-away). I'm surprised the material isn't tattered and all the supports are fully intact.

piqaro likes this.
  10. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My small roller board is a TravelPro Crew 8, and it's quite good. For my larger, check in bag I have a moderately priced Samsonite which I got when my last huge TravelPro needed to be retired.

11. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    RedM3Pilot likes this.
  12. psollitt
    Original Member

psollitt Gold Member

Status Points:
    My carryon is a Peli 1510 which is great !

My hold luggage is also peli (which has survived over 7 years of AMS transfers !! ) is a Peli 1440.

I can highly recommend any Peli case as they are rock solid !

13. traveldawg

traveldawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I LOVE my Briggs & Riley. Not particularly light-weight, and I sure can pack the pounds in and I do test the strength of those zippers on more than one occasion. What I like about Briggs & Riley is there complete guarantee. When something needs fixing, I just take to the local shoe repair shop. They send the bill to Briggs/Riley. A few months ago, they decided that maybe it could not be repaired. Sent the suitcase back and Briggs & Riley sent me a new suitcase. Can't beat that !!! So, they have my total loyalty.

14. I have managed to own just about everything. I use old luggage as shipping containers, since the postal service accepts them.

I don't like buying anything too expensive since they end up getting destroyed anyway. I think about how upset I might be if the airline loses my bag that is worth more than the contents. It concerns me really nice luggage invites theft. Even with Tumi, I find I want something newer in a few years anyway. Minor innovations in material, wheels and convenience become attractive.

A taxi driver will size you up to how he should rip you off based on what you tow.

Mostly I have Delsey, which has most often worked well for me. Luggage choice is a personal thing though.

Miles likes this.
  15. My carry on is Briggs and Riley, and I am very happy with it. If I check a bag it is whatever cheap roller or duffel I can find at the local Target store.

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tumi xlt series has worked very well for me.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  17. I have found Samsonite pretty durable over the years, particularly the hard shell style.

18. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just love my new Heys "Hybrid". [​IMG] It combines the best of a hard-sided bag with the convenience of soft-sided pockets on the outside (both front and back).

http://bit.ly/dxK8ry

19. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been happy with my TravelPro and Boyt rollaboard carry-ons and I have a cheap Skyway that I check when necessary. It seems to be holding up nicely.

20. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like...and love my Tumis. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    My philosophy is similar. I travel for pleasure, and am not trying to impress anyone...except to impress them that I am too poor to have anything worth stealing.

My backpack is no-name and worn, my "luggage" is a no-name rollaboard from Target.

The rollaboard was selected on the basis of dimensions (to pass muster with any European discount carrier) and weight (same reason). It cost less than $20 and will fail in a few years, at which time I plan to replace it with something similar.

If you are traveling for business, it's a good idea to look prosperous. If you are traveling for pleasure, may not be so smart.

22. Mileage Junky
    Original Member

Mileage Junky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a big fan of the bags from Red Oxx

frankmu likes this.
  23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Traveling over 150K per year for 10 years + I used to use Briggs & Riley all the time, but the weight and size became a hindrance. I have for the past 15 months used nothing but Rimowa ... the smaller sizes are perfect for me for up to 2 weeks on the road for business and the humongous one is great for traveling on vacation when I have to check luggage. For business it is always carry on. Rimowa is pricey but has a 3 year all inclusive repairs and warranty and they are great and the luggage fantastic.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  24. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
  25. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points: