Best JAL Credit Card for those living in Japan

Discussion in 'JAL | Mileage Bank' started by Simon, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I am still researching this but it appears the Saison American Express Platinum Business can get you 1.1 JAL miles per 100 yen which is more than anything else out there. 1 point = 2 miles and overseas you get 2 points for ever 100 yen and for normal purchases 1.5 points per 100 yen. Confusing right?

Somehow according to many sites (like this http://jal-travel-navi.com/card/saison/) this Amex gets 1.1 miles per 100 yen as apposed to 1 mile per 100 yen but it is worth it?

Does anyone actually have this card? http://www.saisoncard.co.jp/lineup/ca142.html

Can anyone spread any light on this?

JALPak likes this.
  2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    All sounds good but you have forgotten one big thing, Amex isn't widely accepted. You need another card as your backup plan.

3. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't looked at it recently but I recall with Credit Saison's point system you get 1,000 yen = 1 point* , and 1 point can be converted to 2 JMB (or ANA:p) miles on www.a-q-f.com.
    That's a generous ★★500 yen per mile★★ :rolleyes:
    (*for shops who don't have any tieups with them, which is probably the vast majority of shops in the world)

JALPak likes this.
  4. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you live in Tokyo I think you should have a card with a Suica/Pasmo chip, if only because there is no other easy way to get miles for your commuting. (Some lines will let you buy a commuter pass with an unaffiliated credit card, but they are few and far between...)

I have never had problems using Amex in Japan -- only in the US, and only at lower-end places like grocery stores. In Japan it seems like Amex works everywhere that Visa, MC and JCB work.

JALPak likes this.
  5. musashino22
    Original Member

musashino22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AMEX Annual Membership Fee is too expensive. I am already happy with my JAL JGC Club-A Mastercard. Mastercard ran a campaign since 2009 where all your overseas credit card charges will earn you an additional 1 mile for every 200 yen spent so it was like 100yen = 1.5 miles. [​IMG]

JALPak likes this.
  6. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Guess it depends how much you spend on it versus the additional annual fee of the Amex. It's all relative depending on your situation.

7. musashino22
    Original Member

musashino22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In a way I do agree with you and I am already happy with my JALCard although I also have an AMEX card - corporate but I rarely use it except when going to Costco.[​IMG]

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mixing personal purchase with corporate is a big no no for my company. You guys are lucky that ane let you convert to JMB miles with their points in japan!

9. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    change company!