Best IHG Hotel for Tourist in New Orleans

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by LAM, Nov 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at a quick weekend trip to New Orleans in May. I want to use points for my stay and I have a a lot (for me) of IHG points now. Any suggestions for which IHG hotel would be the best for a quick weekend stay? The IC get horrible reviews on Trip Advisor.

2. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    All ihg props in Nola are not so great...

Crown plaza has the best location for the French quarter.

Ic is being refurbished. If you are an ra, I'm me, and I can help you out. Otherwise hit the cp for the quarter or indigo for the district.

Mz

viguera likes this.
  3. man on the move.

Status Points:
    Based on my current go somewhere else. Heavy construction for the next 11 month. Form 8 to 8. Most of the suites have converted back to rooms, so no upgrades for ras.

The person at the guest relations desk made me feel like I was an inconvenient interruption when I asked to check in. As a royal ambassador, I have generally checked in at the guest relation desk, but that now seems to upset the system, and was asked to move to the main desk. I presented my card and I'd to check in, asked to move to the desk, and then asked for my card again? THe room I received is not a suite, but a superior room on the club level. This is the smallest room that I have had in the last four years of being a royal ambassador. In the past the staff in New Orleans have asked me about my room preferences, and have a long list of my favorite rooms. I asked what type of room at check in ands was simply told it was a club room. I understand hat the hotel has converted some suites to standard rooms during the renovation, but no mention at check in that none of my preferred rooms were available. I typically stay at this property 30-70 nights a year for the last few years and had come to know many of the staff and management very well. All of the front office managers have turned over this year - 100%! So to sum it up, the check in service was dramatically worse than my typical experiences at this hotel. The only high light is Sarah, the bell captain who helped me with my complicated baggage request. One of luggage was delayed on the flight and she dealt with very well in a manner that won't wake me in the middle of the night. It was also interesting to note a check in that the entire front desk management team has left the hotel in the last year. I counted several of these as friends, and felt that they turley cared about me and my stays. The hotel has lost a great deal of the charm that I had come accustom.

This hotel was slowly sliding down with the age of the furnaishings, but made up the difference with recognizing guests and treating them family. Now that part is largely gone too. With the warning of noise, time to move on and try the indigo and crown plaza, or hilton again.

I don't plan to come back til the refurbishment is complete and the duty managers treat me some modest level of respect.

Stayed washton, Seoul and Beijing this month. Singapore, Hanoi and Bangkok last month. I rank New Orleans bottom of the heap.

Please pile on with any other recent comments and observations.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    man on the move., I really appreciate your update on the IC. That's a shame, but you've saved me from staying there when I am in town next month. Appreciate the update!

man on the move. likes this.
  5. man on the move.

Status Points:
    Quick Update: My work buddy who received my RA referral last year, also stayed this week and got my favorite room... I am glad for him, but no idea why they treated him like a RA, and not me? It just seems like the guest services team have gone out to lunch...

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you rubbed them the wrong way when you checked in?

7. man on the move.

Status Points:
    I guess so, but no idea how. Just went to the desk with the ambassador sign and sign hello, and she asked how can I help you or something similar and I said I would like to check in.

Ihg customer support refunded me the stay.

I also forgot to mention, the room across the hall was being renovated, with removal of the entry tiles by hammer at 8 am, while I was still trying to sleep....