Best hotel right next to LAX

Discussion in 'LAX/SNA/LGB/BUR | Los Angeles Area Airports' started by afakhori, Aug 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    So my sister and her husband are going to be flying from DC to visit me in HNL and aren't big travelers. Bought a flight from DC to LA and used points go the get them to HNL. Their DC-LA flight gets in early evening and then their LAX-HNL leaves in the A.M. the next day. I told them I'd get them a hotel room for the night and wanted to get some opinions on where to put them. Like I said, they dont really travel, so staying in a midlevel Courtyard would be lux to them. So where should I put them?

uggboy likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    whatever is closest to in & out... cuz really its an airport hotel @ LAX. nothing much to do there... except compare & determine that I&O > 5G :)

uggboy likes this.
  3. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've stayed at the Hilton LAX and found it similar to many other domestic Hilton properties.

If they think a Courtyard is nice, then the Hilton will certainly impress them.

The Hilton LAX does share a shuttle with the Embassy Suites LAX North, but when heading to LAX, the shuttle usually stops first at the Hilton LAX.

Often with AAA or a prepaid rate, you can get the Hilton LAX for ~$100+ taxes.

5. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys! @edekba I dont think they've ever had I&O, but have grown accustomed to 5Gs - it will definitely be an experience.

@dayone and @Max M do you think I could end up with a priceline for less than the $100ish I can get? Here's a little secret - I've never used priceline :)-O) Just always used the military or 3A rate.

What I should do is just get them into a lounge and have them sleep there. Maybe hide in a closet or something until after they close

6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often get the Hilton LAX for $100 all-in with taxes on weekends using the Hilton MVP code. This usually matches Priceline/Hotwire for a 3.5-4 star at LAX.

That being said, Hilton will charge them for WiFi and breakfast. A lesser starred property with more included (like, say, a Holiday Inn with things like WiFi and breakfast) might be a good deal.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Max M and afakhori like this.
  7. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey @eponymous_coward thanks for the great tip! Picked up a room for them for $87+tax! Too bad I didnt get a soft landing from HH Dia to Gold - they dropped me to Silver pretty quickly this year, haha.
    They'll be outta there by 6am so breakfast isnt a big deal....I'll just tell them to tether to their phones and call it a day :-P

eponymous_coward likes this.
  8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hilton status would be helpful if you were staying there, not so much for them without you..

afakhori and Max M like this.
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    You did well.

afakhori and Max M like this.
  10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    viguera likes this.
  11. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Almost certainly, but probably not for less than $60 and maybe not for less than $75. If you were seeing transparent rates of $175-200+, I would more strongly encourage priceline. The $87 you found seems sane.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    afakhori likes this.
  12. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that but it seemed kinda "meh". They should be pretty content with the Hilton. They'll only be there a few hours :) Thanks for all the tips. I'll let you all know what they thought

13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if they like 5Gs over I&O

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, at those rates, status isn't worth it if I get a $50-100 break from the room rate. But a $75 rate on Priceline/Hotwire is going to be pushing $100 once taxes and fees get bundled in.

Other tip for cheap-ish hotel near LAX if you're driving a car; the El Segundo Doubletree has both free parking and lower taxes than LA hotels. So this is usually my preferred option on the Hilton MVP rate if I am driving a car.

afakhori likes this.
  15. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    More proof that life comes full circle. That property opened as the first Hyatt House in 1954. It was the first "fly-in" hotel located adjacent to a major airport.

[​IMG]

FYI: The now-demolished Hyatt House at SFO (located on the site of the current Hyatt Regency) was the second airport hotel.

eponymous_coward and afakhori like this.
  16. fisherman14

fisherman14 New Member

Status Points:
    I usually opt for Sheraton, but Embassy Suites or the Westin would be comfortable alternatives as well.

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good news.

The Crowne Plaza is my go-to property but I'm hoping for a nicer Hilton nearby. I also despise the shared shuttle and the horrendous curbside pickup, so I might be making a switch.

18. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt Shares with Qwik Park (or is it Kwik-E Mart?) and the shuttles are extremely frequent and the Qwik Park is immediately adjacent to the hotel entrance.

viguera likes this.
  19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC from my last trip the Crowne Plaza shuttle stops at least twice up La Cienaga before getting to the hotel, so it's always crowded.

Maybe it was my late arrival but it was definitely a while before we got to the hotel, even though it's literally right outside the airport.

20. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Weirdness ensues. That was a great hotel in it's time. The fine dining restaurant was TJ Peppercorns and was a very good steak house.....