Best hotel in chicago for Gold member

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Dave, Dec 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dave

Dave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to Chicago for a weekend in march, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the best hotel for a gold member. Specifically, I'm considering the Conrad, Drake, and the Wit. I'd appreciate any thoughts you have!

uggboy likes this.
  2. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What benefit is most important to you? Executive Lounge? Free food? Possible room upgrade? Others?

Lounges
    The Drake is the only one of those hotels with an Executive Lounge. As a Gold member, you only get access if you book an Executive room or if your On-Property Benefit for Hiltons is set for space-available room upgrades (rather than the bonus points) and you get upgraded to an Executive room.

Free food
    So long as your On-Property Benefit is set for space-available room upgrades, you'll receive free continental breakfasts at any of the hotels. I think your odds are best of getting a free full breakfast is at the Wit, but I've never stayed at the Conrad so cannot speak to that.

Room upgrades
    It'll depend on how busy they are and frankly if you ask. If you really want one, try emailing the hotel ahead of time. I've had very good luck doing this when I've been celebrating special events at hotels.

TAHKUCT and uggboy like this.
  3. Dave

Dave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the thoughts! The room itself (and hence room upgrades) is the most important thing to me. We probably wouldn't spend much time in an executive lounge, though the free breakfast would be nice. I'm leaning toward the Conrad because I've had great experiences at other Conrads.

uggboy likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    To add to the above my personal choice is the Conrad however do not expect this place to be anything as nice as any other Conrad you have stayed in. If the hotel is not heavily booked you will get a decent room and Continental breakfast only... but you can use the voucher $16?? towards alacarte items. All the properties are close to Michagan Ave but the Conrad has the advantage that there is walkway connection to Nordstrums and Shops at North Bridge Mall with the sometimes quite unpredictable weather that may not be a bad thing.:)

You did not mention if your stay will be award or paid if the latter I suggest you let rates be your guide. The Conrad often has rates which include gift cards for shops in the attached mall.

uggboy and DAS02135 like this.
  5. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great point about looking at the special offers part. I hardly ever do, but there's sometimes really good things lurking there. For instance, at the ST Louis Airport Hilton, there is a package which provides double points, free full breakfast, and free wifi for only $10 more than the Best Available Rate. Especially if you don't get the later two free from status, it's a great deal.

uggboy likes this.
  6. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    like the Wit- kinda the Hilton version of W. upgraded to high floor; got breakfast voucher as Gold for restaurant. lots of restaurants around

uggboy likes this.
  7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would check to see if any of them have major conventions scheduled for while you are planning on being there.... if so chances for an upgrade, or even a good rate are that much less.

DTWBOB

uggboy likes this.
  8. usnim

usnim Active Member

Status Points:
    Go for the Conrad. As a gold I've been treated very well and the location is excellent. In fact I'll be there tomorrow and if my luck holds out, I'll get upgraded again (100% so far).

uggboy likes this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Report back about your upgrade success!:)

10. usnim

usnim Active Member

Status Points:
    Upgrade still 100%. Have a City View room that looks north up Michigan Ave. Also received continental breakfast certs. I have to say that is so far my favorite Chicago property. Yes, there is no executive lounge. However, every time that I have been here by myself or with my wife, we have been treated very well by all of the staff. It is connected to the Shops at Northbridge (nice during the wintertime), where you can shop and eat at the food court all without having to go outside. As I've said before, the location is great. Hope this helps.

Kalboz likes this.