Best hotel in Bangkok for a one night stay with wife as a Plat

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Jan 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question for those in the know: what's the best SPG property to stay at in Bangkok as a Plat?

This will be a one night stay in early March with my wife. We will be arriving very early on a Saturday morning (flight gets in at 5:20!) and flying down to Koh Samui the following day...

Looking for a combination of good location and pampering/luxury (as well as generous Plat benefits, of course) :D

2. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...guessing Kalboz will have an opinion on this. I'll give it a shot- St. Regis...

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    First place St. Regis
    Second SGS

4. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good to me. We LOVED the St Regis in Osaka, so it would be nice to check out another one :)

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plaza Athenee, while a little dated, has lots of suites for upgrades, a great breakfast complimentary for Plats in the hotel's restaurant, a nice lounge. Generally less expensive than St Regis or SGS.

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    All true, but I love the riverside location of the Royal Orchid -- it never got old watching the river traffic and temples from our great suite on two separate stays.

IDGflygirl, alohastephen and Toula like this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You almost can't go wrong with SPG in Bangkok. Unquestionably, the St Regis is good and with good Platinum recognition.

The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is quite possibly the very best Sheraton? It's a true luxury property, with excellent service... a good spa... Platinums get upgraded albeit not usually to a suite, the evening cocktails can be taken by the pool and breakfast is outstanding.

For coming in at night and leaving next day around noon, I like going down market to the Royal Orchid Sheraton. True, it' can be full of package tourists, but the views are phenomenal and I really enjoy waking up and having breakfast on the river.

Plaza Athenee is solid all-around.

I'd say that the St Regis will be the most luxury, and also a good chance of a suite. SGS is a special place and very reliable. If you plan on getting out and about you might make the decision based on location. But you can hardly go wrong :)

8. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I saw the abbreviated subject line in "Trending Topics," I thought it was going to say, "Best place to stay in Bangkok for a one-night stand!"

OY-JFS and alohastephen like this.
  9. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I am guessing that you don't like hostels! :)

canucklehead and alohastephen like this.
  10. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not when traveling with the wife, no ;)

My travel pattern is cheapest possible earning when by myself, in order to benefit when on holiday together :D

11. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used to be I refused to stay anywhere that cost more than 200 baht :p

12. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    ahhh, the days when the USD would get you 50+ bhats! First time I went to Thailand in 99, I recall staying at the ROS for some ridiculously cheap rate! Thailand was one of those countries where I would be willing to spend more because it was a quantum leap in opulence (well anything is more opulent than a hostel! :D)

BTW, I loved the SGS -- I prefer to stay there and as a Gold, I received the Grande Deluxe room (which incl butler service). GM came by to thank me for staying there (which is a rare occurrence for me). Love the pool and the breakfast choices.

IDGflygirl and sendaiben like this.
  13. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    If we had two nights, I would definitely try out the SGS as well... as it is, I get the feeling the St. Regis is slightly ahead (particularly as a newly-minted Plat eager to see how good the world can be) :D

IDGflygirl and canucklehead like this.
  14. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    either way, I am sure you, and more importantly, your wife :D, will enjoy it!

IDGflygirl and sendaiben like this.
  15. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a bad plan! I try to do hostels/ guesthouses as much as possible regardless of when/ who I travel with...

16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on our experiences (traveling with wife & kids), for one night, I'd say the St. Regis would be my choice ... but for more than one night, I'd stay at the SGS!

Our SGS photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157625553717660/

St. Regis photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157628777073793/

Hands down, for breakfast, the St. Regis' wins over any other Starwood property in Bangkok and it seems like you will be having breakfast on two mornings :). Please note that I have stayed at all SPG properties in Bangkok with the exception of the Aloft.

17. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz, that breakfast looks VERY good, do you know what the cost is for the breakfast? (non status)

IDGflygirl and Kalboz like this.
  18. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    That looks amazing :)

19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    A whopping THB 950++ per person ... which adds up to around $36 all in per person!

If you must, they serve until 11:00 AM and I would time it to partake as a brunch as they have high quality sushi/sashimi, to-order noodles/stir fries, eggs station to include benedicts & Florentine, meats, and Asian food station in addition to your typical albeit high quality cereals, fruits, pastries, salads, condiments, etc.
    [​IMG]

IDGflygirl, iolaire, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    One suggestion- book a rate that includes breakfast to save a few baht.

IDGflygirl, Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  21. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggest you start a new thread here with that title. I would definitely follow closely!

Kalboz likes this.
  22. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I have one night stay for me & finance after 5 days in BKK/3days in KBV with another friend. This will be our only night together after our flight in from KBV and wanted to stay at a cool Hotel. Our flight arrives in the afternoon and our departing flight from Thailand back to USA is also in the afternoon.

I want to stay at properties I've never stayed at (namely LM, W, St. Regis, Lux Collection) because I normally stay at Westins/Sheratons/4P

Looking at the rates/locations I've narrowed it down to 4.
    1. LMBK - $163.10 or 2800/45 ~4.2/c
    2. W Bangkok - $198.39 or 4000/60 ~3.5/c (if paid stay you get 2x SPG points!)
    3. SGS - $244.18 or 4000/60 ~4.6/c
    4. St. Regis $249.71 (I dont really want to spend this much for 1 Night but if ppl think its worth it.)
    Anyone care to chime in and let me know where I should be? FYI I am already SPG Gold & hopefully successfully complete the SPG Platinum Challenge by then.

23. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    LM if you are Plat by then, IMO

IDGflygirl, Kalboz and edekba like this.
  24. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the LM. It's a great hotel and that's a good price. They have a great breakfast - not as good as the St Regis, but still very nice.
    I'm staying at the W in December myself and I'm very excited to see what it has to offer. I did the 4k/60 deal.
    I also LOVE the St Regis. That seems like a lot for one night. I typically pay around $180--200/night at the St Regis BKK. I'd check out the C&P rates if you can for the St Regis, I found something in Dec for 8k/$90.

IDGflygirl, Kalboz and edekba like this.
  25. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jan 3 - 13 I'll be in Thailand.

9-12 I'll be in Krabi.

So for 3 to 9 I'm just looking for something with a good value. They'll be 3 of us.

The night of the 12 will just be us.

And yeah no c and p for st Regis then :(

Kalboz likes this.