Best home for 50k MR?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by FlyingBear, Mar 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I got my business gold card a while back with the 50k bonus and due to not having much time, didn't really do anything with them so far. The 1 year anniversary is coming up and I do not plan to keep the card any further, so looking to re-home the points. I am based a United flyer in Phoenix but it seems that BA could be best place to go with those miles for shorthaul flights to Bay Area. Any suggestions/insights if there might be a better place to transfer those? Thanks.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd do BA. With US joining OW in a few days, you should be able to use the Avios for short-distance flights from PHX.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Decided to try some itineraries on AA, none show up on BA. I realize that a lot of people to just call, but it's still a bit discouraging.

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had one work perfectly just a few months ago: great availability showing up using the BA website and easy to book. Trying to call BA to book on Aer Lingus has been a pain, though. The UK and Ireland call centers close at 8pm local and have horrible hold times.

satman40 likes this.
  5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Routes will not work ATLEAST until next week when US joins One World

6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not what I was looking at. I was looking at existing AA flights and nothing out of PHX would show up. Or actually any other US cities

7. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get the no fee Every Day card and you should be able to keep your MR rewards after you cancel the Gold card. Plus you'll get 10K MR points.

8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Genius.

9. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends which airline alliance when you think you'll want to travel with the most.
    Aeroplan for Star Alliance is a good option. Otherwise, British Airways with Oneworld is a great choice.

10. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't particularly care, thinking more from perspective of getting the most out of MRs.

11. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered getting the new AMEX Everyday card with no annual fee, so that you can keep your MR points active a while longer. The best way to maximize your MRs is to wait for transfer bonuses or transferring the points only when you need them for a specific loyalty program. It's more valuable to leave them in MRs so that you have the continued flexibility.

foxberg and FlyingBear like this.
  12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only AA MileSAAver fares will show up, so if only AAnytime fares are available then they won't show up on BA. If you can find MileSAAver fares on AA and they don't show up on BA then call BA and they'll waive the fee for booking the travel.

satman40, FlyingBear and flyforawg like this.
  13. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still have not figured out what was happening at that particular time frame, but I got it to work. Not everything is showing up as far as I can tell, but most of the stuff!

I did get Amex Everyday, so the points are now safe until the next bonus promotion AND I will have more of them. Awesome all around. Thank you all for your feedback.

14. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. But also, I've been waiting for a bonus offer to transfer to DL for over a year now.

15. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am waiting on a bonus offer for about a year, any idea if there is one in the works for BA or hotels?

16. Alex (Easy Award Booking)

Alex (Easy Award Booking) Member

Status Points:
    BA but maybe there will be a transfer bonus soon.