Best Hilton (or hotel) Credit Card offer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by LauraPDX, Mar 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    My 80 plus year old Dad is taking my stepmother to Hawaii in Dec 2012 and they have booked at the Hilton to be near her children/grandchildren. He has asked my advice about getting a new credit card to help pay for his rooms. I can only find 2 cards (AE and citibank) offers. I was hoping some of you experts could offer me advice to help him out. Thanks in advance from she who watches.

cennas, rwoman and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint LauraPDX, I'm pretty sure you will find the information you need in no time, as many MP'ers are in the know on CC!:)

cennas and rwoman like this.
  3. dmc730

dmc730 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an amex and it has given me many a free night. I am not current on what the best offer is for points but the Amex has treated me well. Are you looking for Hilton points or potential room discounts? I am not aware of a card that offers discounts.

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton offers two credit cards -- and you need to see if either one of them will generate enough points to do them any good.

Also, there are ways to get bonus points from Hilton -- right now a two night weekend stay generates 7,000 points.

See the Hilton forum for more info on this type of thing.

DTWBOB

rwoman, dmc730 and uggboy like this.
  5. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think he wants to get either free or discounted rooms. All hotels in Hawaii are expensive. I will let him know about the Hilton specials too. He does go on some weekends away still. Thanks.

rwoman, dmc730 and uggboy like this.
  6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    rwoman and dmc730 like this.
  7. dmc730

dmc730 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If thats the case I would grab the Citi card, make sure I'm signed up for the HHonors program,. register for the bonus off referred to above and go have fun. This trip wouldn't necessarily have a free room but I am guessing upon completion you would be close to 100k points and that will be good for future travel

rwoman likes this.
  8. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    With just a no cost HHonors AMEX card, and a few stays at any Hilton property, Hamptons, and the like, he could rack HH points rather quickly, and have Gold in very short order. IDEA - HHonors AMEX card, take the grand children to an Embassy Suites, A few drinks at night to quell the nerves, and breakfast in the morning, good pools, and LOTS of other kids to make noise with, inexpensive, a good time with the little rugrats children, lots of HH points, and points with them too, and you'll have enough for the HI trip in short order. Plus, use that HH Amex card for gasoline and paying that cell bill, and its a 6X points bonus. Being an older guy myself, I kinda like ES, with that 'free' included in the price, Manager's reception every night, makes it easier to enjoy the rugrats children. :p

perryplatypus, rwoman and dmc730 like this.
  9. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    The HHonoros Surpass card does have a $75 annual fee, which is not waived for first year, but was recently offering 40,000 sign up points and 20,000 with a $3,000 dollar spend. They are also offering 20,000 bonus points for a successful referral. If it were possible for him to get the card and make a referral to your stepmother plus each spend $3,000 on the card within the 90 day period, they could rack up 140,000 bonus points plus the earnings for the actual spend.

If he will actually be staying in some Hilton properties in the upcoming months, he can earn 9 HHonors points per dollar which is much better than the Citibank card which I believe is 6 points per dollar (maybe 5).

Jason

10. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, I will pass them on to him. And I love how everyone is so friendly here too.
    Much appreciated.

11. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP LauraPDX!

12. ilovskins12

ilovskins12 Active Member

Status Points:
    This is definitely your best option in my opinion. They each have spend requirements of 1k in 3 months for the bonus. You'll have a quick 140k Hilton points. Then get one of the amex and this will allow u to be eligible for discounted awards from Hilton along with there axon program.

13. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    perryplatypus likes this.