Best Hilton in London

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Tenmoc, Sep 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all.
    I am looking for the best Hilton in London for a 1 night award stay as a Diamond. 90% of the reviews out there are negative towards Hilton hotels in London. I am looking for a why I should stay at this or that hotel.

My choice of the Bentley where I would stay every time if I could is not available for purchase or award.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know, London Hilton Hotels get always a bad rap with many who have stayed in them. Indeed, we have stayed at the Bentley Hotel, and it is great, while on the other side the Hilton LHR T4 is very negatively strange in many ways, from weak service standards, way too small rooms and an aweful breakfast selection at their Executive Lounge! Avoid is the word for this one T4! We would stay at LHR in the new Hilton T5 and cannot wait to try it out in the future and hope it is a very different experience to that Hilton T4! For early next year we have an upcoming night at the Hilton Metropole, the largest Hilton in London, over 1000 rooms, we booked it based on reputation, having won best business hotel in 2010 and having many room types // suites available for upgrades too. Look forward to check out their executive lounge and service standards too.

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not fancy or anything, but I really enjoyed the Canary Wharf.

jbcarioca, uggboy and Tenmoc like this.
  4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a consideration. The distance from LHR is the concern here with us trying to get back to pick up the bags and head to LHR after a day of walking around.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed that the Canary Wharf location would be great when arriving // departing via LCY London City Airport! Having said that it is a much recommended hotel for the right reason. Plus Canary Wharf can be easily connected by the Tube as is LHR too! BTW....Great modern surrounding await in this area of London which sadly are often // too often // overlooked by visitors to this great city!

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will be staying at the Paddington in a couple of weeks. More for convenience and location than anything else.

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where do you need to be/want to be in London? Also- do you need to stay at a Hilton?

8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the Hilton at Green Park - rooms can be kind of small, but it's a great location (near Green Park Tube Station = easy access to LHR on the Tube) and I thought the service was good when I've stayed there. Pretty quiet too. :)

I've stayed at the Kensington Olympia property, but was less than thrilled.

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Green Park is quite a nice area- although a bit quiet.

Hilton Islington has a fantastic location close to Angel however is not a fantastic hotel.

My experience in London has been that avoiding the chain hotels produces considerably better results.

My "go to" has been the Zetter in Chiswick which has a great location and very good service and the new extension has wonderful suites. It is not the Dorchester however it has the location (Park Lane is seriously boring and touristy and ridiculously expensive for nothing).

10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as where, we can take the tube if need be. Would like to spend some time walking down by the river this trip and of course will have to go to Harrods.

As far as do I have to stay at a Hilton, I'd like to as I am looking to use an award stay to save some of the budget.

jbcarioca, TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like Trafalgar Square Hilton would be perfect in this situation.

rwoman, uggboy and Tenmoc like this.
  12. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Horrible place. Tiny, ugly, noisy, mildewy rooms. Great bar, though.
    Also, they didn't ever credit my stay, which lost me status one year.
    Never again.

rwoman, Tenmoc and uggboy like this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds terrible, never again, and rightly so!

rwoman and Tenmoc like this.
  14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    One other thought...I stayed at the DoubleTree West End (between Holborn and Russell Square Tube Stations) - the property had just become a DT - comfortable rooms with a great location! :)

Easy walk to the British Museum, Oxford Street, or even the Thames (Kingsway heads straight to Aldwych and the river).

Depending on when you travel, you can get some good rates (99GBP-ish) in London.

uggboy and Tenmoc like this.
  15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have already heard a lot positive things about this property! Would like to stay there too in the future ahead!:)

rwoman and Tenmoc like this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great rates and a pretty good location for transport.

uggboy, rwoman and Tenmoc like this.
  17. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will be staying there shortly, and I'll write a small trip report as well :)

uggboy and Tenmoc like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other things remaining equal I will not stay in one of the former Hiton National properties (Kensington, Paddington etc). I personally very much like the London Mews, just behind the London Hilton and using it's facilities because it is small, convenient and pleasant. No major upgrades, usually. I also have stayed happily at the London Hilton, although I never use any of their facilities. The location cannot be beat and they always have given me nice ugrades.

uggboy, nime01 and Tenmoc like this.
  19. roadweary

roadweary Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at a few...
    The Waldorf Hilton - Not to be confused with the Waldorf Astoria collection of hotels, it is a 100 year old property that used to be called The Waldorf Hotel. Renovated rooms, great gym, classic architecture, and very convenient to Covent Garden, West End, and my favorite gallery (The Courtauld). My family stayed in two rooms for a week using HH points and they treated us very well.​
    The Hilton Metropole - Large, utilitarian, business hotel. This is my go-to when I am on a tighter budget as the room size is fairly good for the price. Very good proximity to two Tube stations at Edgeware Rd. The neighborhood is very diverse and has some great Lebanese and Middle Eastern restaurants. Crappy gym.​
    The Paddington Hilton - Located at Paddington train station. This is where I stay for quick visits or one-night layovers. The Heathrow Express whisks you from the airport directly to the hotel in 15 minutes. I usually take the day flight from Chicago and arrive at 10:30 PM. I can get through customs, grab the train, and be in my hotel room within one hour of touch-down. Paddington tube station is across the street.​
    Others I have scoped-out and would like to try...
    Park Lane Hilton - High-end property overlooking Hyde Park. The renovated rooms are very nice. Not very convenient to the underground.​
    The Trafalgar London - A small contemporary boutique-style hotel right in the thick of the action on Trafalgar Square.​
    Have fun in one of the greatest cities in the world!

milchap, uggboy, nime01 and 1 other person like this.
  20. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a few outstanding stays at the Canary Wharf location. It's not the most convenient, but access to the rest of the city isn't horrible if you're willing to do the DLR to Underground transfers.

uggboy, nime01 and Tenmoc like this.
  21. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed at Hilton London Metropole. It was quite good. West Tower high floor, reasonable sized room. Compact but adequate executive lounge. We had breakfast ( complimentary as HH Gold) in the restaurant as lounge a bit small for my family of 6.
    The hotel is in a great location, opposite Edgware Road Tube station and a 5 Minute bus ride to Oxford Street.
    As others have mentioned Edgware road surrounding has many Lebanese restaurants. There is also a Marks & Spencer across the road and Waitrose one block away both with good snack foods/drinks. The streets behind have a few great authentic English pubs.
    It is an inexpensive taxi ride to Paddington if you have too much luggage ( like me ;) ) to take the tube .

Tenmoc and uggboy like this.
  22. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually the Paddington tube station is just one level below the HEX level.
    No need to brave the sometime crappy London weather.
    Also the Paddington has perhaps the best Hilton executive lounge in the city.

23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone stayed at the new Hilton LHR T5? I have a reservation for next spring at the LHR T4 but have heard not so great things so am thinking of changing to the LHR T5? Thoughts? This is only for 1 night at the end of a cruise on the way home.

24. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not stayed there, but note it is NOT in T5, it is outside the airport and requires a shuttle. You are probably at T5 faster if you stay at the Hilton T4 and take the train or transfer bus, or even the Hilton Paddington and taking the HEx.

25. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. We are actually going to be flying out of LHR T3

[From my milePoint enabled iPhone]