Best Frequent Hotel Program for Asia/China?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by thetenken, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey all,

I'll be in China in 2013, and I wanted to start ramping up to get the top level elite status in a program for when I'm in Asia. I've been doing a bunch of research into this, but ultimately not sure. I basically want a chain that will give me good upgrades while I travel in Asia.

From what I can tell, the hotels with best upgrade programs for top tier elite status IN ASIA are:

IHG - but for RA only at IC's. Limited hotel selection before, but according to Loyalty Traveler they made huge expansions in Asia this past year (http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler/2011/02/16/ihg-2010-year-in-review/)
    Starwood - Platinum, get suite upgrades (but erratic?), won for best elite program for Asia 2009 (Freddie)
    Hilton - Diamond, sometimes get suite upgrades in Asia, but high likelihood of other upgrades
    Hyatt - Diamond, won for best elite program for Asia 2010 (frequent traveler).

Any thoughts?

2. ORDflyer
    Original Member

ORDflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    For Asia the best program with the best hotels is IMHO Shangri-La Golden Circle The only problem is they have maybe one hotel in North America (Vancouver I think), but in Asia they are outstanding. Bangkok, Shanghai, Taipei were all great. They were building a hotel in Chicago, but the developer went broke.

3. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had excellent experience with Starwood in Asia as a Platinum. Not erratic at all. Always a suite in China sometimes pretty fancy ones, decent and quite large club floor rooms in Japan (no suite). Really a lot of locations most especially in China. Pretty consistent lounges, virtually all with a full breakfast or breakfast at restaurant included. And outstanding service everywhere.

4. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I looked at their program, and it looked very good. But I do need something with a bit more coverage. I think I'm going to narrow down to Hyatt, Starwood, and Hilton. I don't think I can hit the requirements to be an IHG RA.

I've heard people get good upgrades at Hilton, and at Starwood. I have heard Hyatt service is the best, but maybe in Asia they are all about the same?