Best flights between London and Madrid?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by tahewett, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello gang,

My wife, daughter (who will be 2 yrs old), my folks and myself will be in London for a few days in early October before heading to Madrid. We've already booked tickets for the 5 of us on the TATL portion of the trip, but we're still filling in the details for the rest of the trip.

I have no experience with intra-Europe flying, so I'm looking for any recommendations for a non-stop, cheap-to-reasonably priced flight from London to Madrid. My wife and I are normally *A people but my parents have no preference or status with anyone, so if I can do this on a *A carrier that would be a bonus but it's not an absolute necessity on this trip. Any suggestions?

Thanks much in advance.

2. I think you are out of luck for any direct *A flights out of London. Without the possibility of rewards I would imagine a LCC might be a good an option as any?

If so, LTN-MAD on easyJet is fine for such a short flight in my opinion, but that is the opinion of a solo traveller that lives a mile from LTN. I am not sure I would be so happy making the trip from central London with such a large party, even with EZY tickets at around £25. Largely due to the fact that it is a little less accessible compared to the other airports in the area (LTN is the only London airport without a direct rail link).

In your shoes, I would book LGW-MAD with easyJet and take the Gatwick Express from Victoria.

For future reference, skyscanner.net is a very good tool for comparing European flights.

tahewett likes this.
  3. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much, schooleydoo! I've bookmarked skyscanner and will definitely be monitoring these flights as the trip gets closer.LGW-MAD will likely be our best option. We've got some family in Kent that we may be staying with and LGW is much more convenient for their place.

Cheers!

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this case, if you want an LCC, I would choose Easyjet as they are nonstop LGW/MAD, and they are much nicer than their competition. LGW is my preferred airport much of the time due to its very convenient location, and generally hassle free status (although I much prefer BA to Easyjet- however that doesn't help you as they don't fly to MAD from LGW).

tahewett likes this.
  5. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that - have only heard bad things about Ryanair over here, but have never had occasion to try any of the LCC's over there, as we usually just fly over to visit family in England and if we do visit the continent, it's been by train/car.

Agreed about LGW being very convenient! Especially if we are heading right to family. If we're staying in London on our own, either is fine as we don't mind the tube/express train.

For this trip, I think the main drivers will be: direct flight, then cost, then carrier. Since I'm traveling with my folks, I'm not in charge on this trip (they don't understand taking a not-direct route, even if it's cheaper) so I'm not pushing much. Personally, I'd go to LHR and take a direct BA flight from there (no status with them, but I could at least earn some miles), but I'm guessing they'll want to keep it simple and go from LGW, so easyJet looks like a winner.

Thanks again for the input.