Best Flight JFK to CDG (or EWR to FCO) with a connect on to ATH

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by KyRoamer, Dec 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Late spring we head for ATH and want to arrive by around 2 pm. We are flying DL award tickets. DL cancelled the JFK - ATH non-stop the day we are flying and said pick an alternative. We could fly via AMS but saw nothing in before 4:20

My choices are all busines class and include

Airbus A330-200 by Air France with an almost 4 hour connect on to ATH

A Delta Boeing 767 with lay flat seats with a 2h 5m connect

An Air France Boeing 777-300ER with a 2h 20m connect

or an Air France Airbus A380-800 with a 1h 15 connect.

I'm considering the Delta 767 for the lay flat seats although with my luck it will be changed to recliner seating.

How does Delta recliner compare to AF recliner seating.

I could fly to FCO on Alitalia's 330 via EWR. It looks to have lay flat seats. It connects to an Alitalia flight to ATH but has just 1h 30m. I believe you have to change terminals.

Advice?

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    AF seat is in my opinion not as comfortable in J as DL 767 flat bed. At CDG you want as much connect time as possible, I don't fly through there because of the clusterf*** that it is. I much prefer AMS even though the hard product is significantly worse the soft product on KL is in my opinion the second best to europe in SkyTeam behind the pretty awesome J class that Delta flies. I don't have experience connecting in FCO, only arriving and staying but I've read about the Alitalia A330 product and it looks pretty stellar with flat beds and great food. Check yourself, there may be an option for a longer connection in FCO because Delta usually just looks and throws you on the first connecting flight.

If it was me I'd do the Delta 767 (as long as you know there is a flight to ATH after your connection),
    The Alitalia A330 with flat beds and food since it seems like hard product is important to you,
    and finally KL via AMS since the soft product is great and it is very easy to connect in AMS, the terminal was built to connect and you'll simply go through one passport gate and you'll be directly in the Schengen terminal, no busses or trains required.

3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks skyvan.

We are doing Delta's 767. We thought about AMS but would not arrive ATH until after 4 pm. There is a bck-up flight from CGD to ATH if we miss our connection.

We've never done Delta's lay flat and thought it would be fun. Meanwhile, Delta is likely to be doing more changes on the 29th and we will not know for sure what we have until after then. And even then there could be many more changes.

4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta makes tons of changes, if they make one and you're unhappy, call them and say that the new change "Just doesn't work" (Thanks MileValue for this idea), and get them to give you the flights you want.

Also, my opinion is that the Delta 767 flat beds are awesome. I always try to get first row for the additionally foot space, my favorite flat bed that I've flown on, much nicer than the throne seats on Swiss.