Best first place to go for a week?

Discussion in 'Central/South America' started by mikeschu, Dec 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm no stranger to travel, but I've never been south of the equator. 2013 may be the year I change that. After reading a bit about the last Cow DO I'm interested in going to South America. Ideally I'd like to visit EZE for the Cow DO if it's being hosted again - but that's for another post.

Having said all that, where's a good place to go for a first-timer for about a week? Right now, I'm looking at LIM, SCL or even IPC as the first destination. I have miles available to get there in J and am looking around April to visit, though I do have some flexibility on what dates I can travel.

The only major concern to be aware of is that I eat a paleo diet because I'm allergic to gluten and corn, so let me know if there are places to avoid (e.g. places where the cuisine has lots of wheat/bread/wheat flour).

Thanks in advance!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd think SCL would be the easiest Latin America destination for a relatively inexperienced traveler. However, if the goal is going south of the equator, how about Australia or New Zealand? Very easy (don't forget to get an electronic "visa" in advance), especially since English in the language there.

COW DO 2013 has already been announced.

Be sure to get someone to translate your dietary requirements into Spanish (or the local language of your destination) to show to waitstaff who might not understand, even if they do seem to speak some English. Food in Latin American uses wheat and corn (versus rice in much of Asia), but it's easy to get a simple steak almost anywhere in Argentina for dinner. Yummmm!

3. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there's so much to do in Aus or NZ that I'd want to spend more than a week there. If I'm going to COW DO, I won't have a lot of time to go elsewhere this year, hence a week. I have been looking at SCL as a possibility. Then again, I'd likely be paying two reciprocity fees this year if I head to SCL and EZE. That's not the end of the world if it happens, but something I wouldn't mind avoiding.

Hopefully they can serve up meat and a salad anywhere I go. I do take the necessary literature to provide to waitstaff as well, so there should be no concerns there.

4. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in all three in April for 10 days. In SCL I had two days did city bike tour and a day wine tasting bike tour then to IPC for four days and finally Lima for three days (fantastic private cooking class just me, two guys - great food and wine). Stayed W Santiago (great hotel), local IPC and then Westin Lima (fantastic gold upgrade corner room). A week is good time - Lima flights to JFK left after midnight so I could have stayed one day less as crazy traffic/cabs and not a lot to do IMO but I was exhausted from IPC days. my first trip to South America and pretty easy to get around.
    As for Australia/NZ agree one week not enough -I spent month there and not enough. too far to go for a week.