Best email/domain host for family domain?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by autolycus, Feb 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The thread about signing up one's children for FF accounts when the children don't have their own email addresses got me to thinking about setting up a domain name for my wife and myself. I'd ideally like to have 2-3 email addresses each so that we can give different addresses to different types of people (auto@autolycus.net, auto-flyer@autolycus.net, auto-shopper@autolycus.net, etc.). I would prefer to use Google for it since both of us use gmail and are comfortable with and like its interface. But... I noticed that they don't have a free version of Google Apps anymore, which would mean $50/yr on top of the domain name registration.

Does anybody have thoughts on a good alternative solution?

Might it be possible to use a domain host/email forwarding service to send stuff to our existing gmail accounts in a way that gmail could filter and dump mail that was originally sent to each account into separate folders?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use fastmail.fm for my mail. They have several pricing plans and free accounts, too.

jbcarioca and autolycus like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use godaddy for my domain hosting and email... it's not the friendliest as far as setup but it's not that difficult and relatively cheap.

The instructions to configure POP mail on iOS / Android are fairly clear and easy to follow, and you can set up catch-all accounts for spam or people that spell names incorrectly, and they have webmail (and a mobile version) so accessing your mail is fairly simple.

4. dbeedle

dbeedle Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are a number of hosting sites that will register a domain and do mail forwarding for a bit less than $50. You can get domain, web hosting space, email, etc for not much more and still be well below $50 a year. The hosting site I use (webhostingpad.com), for example ranges from 3.99/mo (no prepay) to 1.99/mo (prepaying 5 years worth). Unlimited email accounts that can simply be forwards to gmail or anywhere else. You get web space which may be overkill for you. I did find a site (just looking real quick) that offers domain registration and forwarding (easydns.com, $15/yr) i'm sure there are others.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been happy with www.1and1.com for both domain name registration and for simple POP3/SMTP (or you can configure for IMAP if you prefer) email service. You can configure Gmail to work with POP3 or IMAP. Ditto for the new web-based Outlook.

6. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I'm also now with GoDaddy where setting a monthly contract and waiting until the company sends out the 30%+ discount before changing to a longer term is the way to go. The one proviso I would add is that GoDaddy is very aggressive at calling the billing number in an attempt to sell add-on services ...

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    GoDaddy are scum and should be avoided, despite the fact that they are cheap.

I currently am a reseller of services from jodohost and, while I've never actually used the email system they offer because I got grandfathered in on the google apps freebie, I trust that it offers the typical IMAP interface just like everyone else. I can look in to what the details are and probably set up a "friends & family" rate for MP folks if people are actually interested.

Also, you're gonna want IMAP support more than POP3. Much more functional as a protocol for email handling.

8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh definitely agree on IMAP.

I'm really kicking myself for not having set up a Google Apps account a year or more ago when I first started thinking about it. Ah well, ya live and learn. And I'd said $50/yr, but I hadn't even caught that it's $50/yr/account, so even just my wife and I having separate inboxes would be $100/yr. No way that's an option.

Thanks for all the suggestions for services. Keep it coming! While I could do plenty of searching for different providers, nothing beats real-world testimony from people I "know".

Wandering Aramean and jbcarioca like this.
  9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a bunch of free google apps accounts attatched to my domains (and as I get new domains I can just add them on to previously created accounts). Unfortunately you can't create free ones anymore.

I buy my domains on name.com and I do my hosting with arvixe.com who I've been using for about ten years. I've had a few issues with arvixe as they've grown to be a much much larger company from when I started with them (they only had two servers when I started with them, now they have 100s to 1000s). I still feel comfortable recommending arvixe though since I believe Arvand and his team will treat you fairly and give you pretty decent uptime. You can get an account with them and set up as many email accounts as you want using cPanel which is quite easy to use. Their plans start at just $4 a month.

I use name.com as my registrar because I really trust them as a company with personality. I had to get a quick issue fixed this morning and I had help within 15 minutes and they fixed the issue. I've been blown away by their service and their prices are decent too.

autolycus likes this.
  10. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use 1and1 as well. The price went up to $10/year per domain, but each domain will host several email addresses so it is quite reasonable. And you can pick an easy to remember address, for example lincoln@boraxofamily.com

autolycus likes this.