Best economy seats: B744, A380, B787

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Canadi>n, Jan 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any suggestions, tips, preferences on these three types. We can't all fly in the front cabins!

As per the B744, the second row, side seats show an open space in front of the window seat on both sides. Is this a good exit row seat? Is there enough space in front of the first row seats to walk from/to that seat to the aisle?

MX likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the A380 there is one aisle seat on the lower level with no one in front of you. Upstairs I like the window seats well enough. The exit row seats have no window if that matters, but they do have essentially unlimited legroom.

gaijin62 likes this.
  3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tagging on to Shareholder's thread, does anyone know which of the three BA B744 types they use regularly on the YYZ-LHR flights? Of course I realize there may often be substitutions, but is there any one type used more often for that particular route? Reason for asking is that we'd like to know in advance (looking at a fall trip this year) which seats to choose in either WT+ or Club. Don't want the B787 and they're not using B767's for flights I'm watching.

Thanks.

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there is - just. If you're doing it, be careful not to bump the person in 28B or 28J as you go past them.

Note that these seats are only found in the mid-J (52 J seats) configuration.
    The flight tracker on www.thebasource.com is a good place to look for a full history of the individual aircraft that have been used, which you can cross-reference to the configurations of the individual aircraft; but for predicting the future, there is no substitute for looking at actual posted seat maps for future flights.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Globaliser,

I'll check the link you've shown to see if I can determine some frequency for a particular type of B747-400 that's used on the YYZ-LHR run, with the understanding that substitutions may happen often depending on the amount of tickets sold, time of year, and availability of aircraft for the flights.

Reason I had to ask is unlike other airline's booking websites where you can see each individual flight's seatmap prior to booking, the BA website doesn't show anything other then the basic aircraft type for each flight, and no seatmap until you get farther along in the booking process.

Last edited: May 25, 2014