Best Discover cash back redemption? Hyatt?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by travelinmike33, Jun 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never looked at my Discover cash back account, and I recently looked at cashing out. In addition to crediting the cash towards your bill or depositing it into a savings account (and maybe just getting a check), you can also convert your cash into discounted gift cards. They have the usual restaurants and retailers for deals like $20 for a $25 gift card or $40 for $50. There are some other steeper discounts, with the standout looking like $40 for a Hyatt $100 off certificate. The certificate can only be used on stays of at least 2 nights, so it won't give you anything free, but it still seems like a nice deal. I'm not a Hyatt person, so maybe it's not a great deal. I'm guessing it would take $100 off the spend for points earnings, but it would certainly be a cheaper way to Hyatt status.

Does anyone have any experience with these Hyatt certificates? Any other favorite Discover redemptions?

2. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never used Hyatt. But I have used Discover to book cruises - check out the redemption on Royal Caribbean and NCL.

Also, I used my discover cash back to buy Christmas gifts last year. I redeemed for Macy's and Amazon gift cards.

travelinmike33 likes this.
  3. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    $20 for $40 Shell gas card. :D Was only a limited time promo, but now I'll save my cashback for offers like this.

travelinmike33 and jpruzins like this.
  4. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dismissed these as I'm not much of a cruiser, but you have reminded me that my wife is looking for a girls getaway cruise with some friends. Sounds like good cpm for some brownie points. :)

Hopefully it will come back!

5. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also - on the cruise I booked via Discover, not only did I use rewards but I called the travel agent (Cruise & Vacation Desk) and asked out upgrades a week before my trip and my room was upgraded from inside cabin to balcony for less than $50!

travelinmike33 likes this.