Best diner in Atlanta

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by DAS02135, May 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who's get recommendations for a diner in Atlanta?

Fantastic pie, deliciously sludgy coffee, and good people watching are prized :)

2. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be downtown by the aquarium one day, in Alpharetta the next, and then the northern perimeter the last.

3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't vouch for the food much, but there's not a better time to be had than catching Mudcat play blues at the Northside Tavern or some other local dive like Darwins, but he's often at the Northside...

4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fat Matt's Rib Shack! You won't find better ribs in Atlanta...and some of the best live blues every night! If you are looking for a hole in the wall with some of the best and least expensive food in town...Fat Matt's is the place! I was in Atlanta in April and discovered FM's through a recommendation at the hotel...so glad I found it...http://www.fatmattsribshack.com/

DAS02135 likes this.
  5. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a big fan of Chow baby and Fox Bros BBQ.

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're looking for something similar to a northern diner, I recomment Marietta Diner (on US 41, not too far from the Big Chicken) or Broadway Diner at Roswell Road (GA 120) and Johnson Ferry Road. Both are in Marietta. The Marietta Diner is more diner-esque IMO and has been around a while. Broadway is pretty new, and while the facility does not have a diner feel, the menu was pretty good.

:)

7. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only rwoman has actually suggested diners... the others mentioned are definitely not. I would second Marietta Diner. Never had their coffee but their cakes and pies are truly something else. Big is not the word. It's also open 24 hours a day and can be quite interesting in the middle of the night. Be careful of ordering too much unless you have a very large appetite. The portions can be quite healthy.

2soonold, DAS02135 and rwoman like this.
  8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Atlanta is more of a meat-and-three type of town than a diner town. I recommend Mary Mac's Tea Room, the Colonnade, and OK Cafe--a little more "diner". My favorite of those is definitely Mary Mac's. It should have better people watching, as Colonnade is more of a local, old school place, whereas Mary Mac's is a little more high profile and has locals and tourists of all stripes.

Fat Matt's, while not a diner, is a good in-town BBQ dive and is good for people watching in addition to beer, blues and barbecue.

rwoman likes this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking I need a visit to the Marietta Diner when I'm in ATL the next time... :) I really like their eggplant parm sandwich! :)

10. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and Buckhead Diner, while excellent, is a more upscale experience and is NOT to be confused with typical diners.

rwoman likes this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. We're going their Sunday for a mini vacation sandwiched around a client visit. Looks like we definitely have to try Marietta Diner.

rwoman likes this.