Best Deal ..... SEA-AMS or SEA_FRK

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by euromannn, Mar 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trying to help a friend with best ticket price to fly Seattle-Amsterdam or Seattle Frankfurt.
    Depart: AUgust 1-10 flexible
    Return: August 22-28 flexible

Must be 3 week stay sometime between Aug1-AUg 28.

Cheapest ticket I have found COACH: Iceland Air : $1295. SEA-FRK

Delta: $1450 SEA-AMS.

Any cheaper ideas as pr
    Pefer direct connections and not going to Vancouver, CA to catch a flight to AMS on AC.

uggboy likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are stuck with that price make sure you check economy comfort. Sometimes iceland air has comfort class for almost no markup, with food, beer/wine, and lounge access.

uggboy likes this.
  3. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, a friend is stuck.....I would never fly COACH to Europe for over $800...even during peak season.

Friend also needs to haul a bicycle and cart...which airline wants another $600 to ship via flight.

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure you book FRA not FRK

5. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, correct. FRA is airport code for Frankfurt but FRK makes more sense for an acronym!

I guess I haven't PAID for a international ticket in so long I am amazed at the regular cost in peak season 5 months in advance from west coast USA to Europe.

I used to pay $700 during summer for a coach seat.

Add the $400-$600 extra my friend must pay to ship his bicycle/cart.....and it's a trip I would not do.
    However, he will ride throughout Germany with a German friend along the Rhine camping at the bicycle camping grounds along the way for 3 weeks which sounds fun.

I offered to go an drive a van and drink beer during the day while they rode! ha!

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fares from West Coast to Europe have been over $1000 for the summer peak for a couple of years now. You probably won't find a paid ticket below $1200 on any airline, even on the off-peak days (generally Mon-Th).

At $600 for shipping, maybe renting his equipment over there would be more cost effective.

timfrost likes this.
  7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bicycle equipment issue becomes a DEPENDABILITY issue. How likely if not bought NEW will used equipment be versus just shipping a high bicycle and cart that is already tuned and used often?

One problem is bicycle being shipped by airlines have been known to get damaged often making even that issue risky.

8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or buy a new bike in Europe and either only ship it one way or sell it on CL when done

9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a good option as this bike will be sued to ride for 1500 miles and a brand new bicycle needs to be fitted and tested before going out on a long journey.

I proposed your idea but when you go long distance you need dependability and reliability...something your familiar with and works.

A lousy bicycle seat can ruin a trip...it's that simple. Shipping costs for bicycles for airlines has risen out of this world.

10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to further debate, but you can always bring a comfortable seat that you like with you. And a decent bike can be repaired en route, this isn't the TdF, is it?