Best, current, (non-ridiculous) points play for iPad Mini w/ Retina?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Ed Chandler, Feb 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm really close to pulling the trigger on an iPad Mini w/ Retina (32GB) so, naturally, I'm brainstorming the "best" way to go about that points/benefits wise.

To keep this from devolving into an "arms race" of n-tiered plans with lots of gift cards, etc., let's say I want to pay for it with an honest-to-goodness credit card.

The best option I can find right now seems to be MacMall via Upromose where I can get:
    • $29.01 discount, $19.96 cash back, no tax (about $36.18) and either
      1. 499 UR w/ price protection using an Ink Bold,
      2. 499 MR w/ return protection using an AMEX Plat, or
      3. $10.34 in travel reimbursement and price protection using a Barclay Arrival MC
    Other options that occur to me are:
    • 3493 UR and price protection w/ Ink Bold @ Staples via UR Mall
    • $24.95 cash back, 2495 UR, and price protection w/ Ink Bold MC @ Staples via Upromise
    • $24.95 cash back and 998 MR w/ AMEX BRG @ Apple via ShopDiscover (yeah, not Discover, I know)
    • $24.95 cash back, 499 MR, and return protection w/ AMEX Plat at either Staples or Apple
    What would you do?
    Can anyone think of a better option?

2. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay so the iPad mini retina 32GB is $499 at Apple. There aren't any refurbished models available from Apple. Too new I guess.

Apple store is currently 2X thru AA and UR shopping portals. So $499 price gets you almost 1000 AA miles or UR points. Or 3X if you count whatever credit card you pay with. Not better.

You can get $30 off at Best Buy right now on a mini retina model. But there's no good portal options. And you're not earning 5X with Ink anymore.

Buy it thru UR mall at 2X, save $20, free shipping and get 2X + 5X = 7X or 3,500 ish from Staples.com. Sounds better. You didn't mention the free shipping or $20 off $100 or more at Staples.com via UR right now. But otherwise you already have this.

Seems like UR mall to Staples.com is the best option. I guess the potential way to goose this would be to do it in two stages--buy staples gift cards via a portal with a credit card, then use those gift cards on a subsequent pass thru the mall to pay for the iPad. Couldn't find anything on FM's lab about the viability of this though. Would want that before proceeding. If it worked you'd get 2X + 5X = 3,500 points on a $500 Staples Gift Card purchase and then another 2X when using the Gift Card for a total of 9X = 4,500 ish miles. Probably want to do physical gift cards. As you suggest it isn't obvious the extra 2X = 1,000 miles = $20ish dollars is really worth the trouble. Up to you though.

The only obvious choice is to WAIT and see if some massive multipler manifests momentarily.

3. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Didn't know ... which is why I asked. ;-)
    Thanks.
    ----- Edit -----

Looks like the $20 off $100 coupon isn't valid on tablets. Nice thought though.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, no-go on MacMall either.
    Upromise Ts&Cs for MacMall make iPad ineligible.

5. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Bonus ... went with the Upromise -> Staples -> Plinked Ink card option ... then price-matched to Best Buy for another $30 off.
    Woo hoo!