Best current deal on flowers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by LarryInNYC, Jan 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need to order some flowers on-line tonight, and have lost track of where the best deal is for miles.

Anyone up late who knows which mall / service is offering top points?

Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call a local florist in the delivery city tomorrow. Get better quality for less money. The points aren't worth it.

3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last time I sent flowers I did so through the AA shopping portal. Points might vary between 15-30 per dollar, but I received credit for my purchase. I haven't checked other airline shopping portals, but AA currently has 15 miles/$1 through FTD.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean is absolutely right! You almost always received the best quality flowers and service from a local florist. The problem is in learning just which one of the local florists can provide that "best service" for you. The points-based service will help you get miles, but your recipient may not receive the highest quality flowers. From my better half's POV, the quality and selection to be found at the local Costco florist beats FTD delivery hands-down! ;)
    Newscience

viguera and LarryInNYC like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Newscience, viguera and LarryInNYC like this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that true? I'm not a habitual flower-sender but have sent this particular family member remote-order flowers before and they've been very well received. Of course, I've never actually seen what was delivered.

As it turns out, none of the national chains deliver on Sunday(at least, not in Santa Fe). Looking on-line for florists in Santa Fe, I see a number that are closed today, and some with very FTD-like sites that say they can deliver today. So, I'll probably go with one of them, getting the worst of both worlds (FTD-like product but no 30x miles benefit).

Oh well. Perhaps it will teach me to get to these things in a more timely fashion (although, if experience is a guide, it won't).

MSYgirl, Newscience and viguera like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I myself gave up on the online flower business... I think personally 1-800-Flowers does the better job when it comes to contacting local stores, and FTD (IMO) does the worst -- they generally deliver packaged flowers in a box, as opposed to an arrangement from the local florist as arranged by the 800-flowers folks.

But regardless, I've found that you get a better price and better service by calling the florist directly and telling them what you want and when you want it delivered.

LarryInNYC and Newscience like this.
  8. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both 1800flowers and FTD offer flowers-in-a-box, as well as offering local delivery from a local florist of their choice.

Granted not all arrangements from FTD and/or 1800flowers are flowers-in-a-box, nor [obviously] do all arrangements come from local florists.

Prior to adding flowers to your cart, for both sites, it does specifiy if the flowers are delivered by a local florist. If there is no such mention, then the flowers do come via FedEx or UPS from the respective national floral company.

Of course YMMV, but the local florist that 1800flowers uses in our area is a fantastic local floral shop, with good quality-- when given the option to choose an arrangement that comes from a local florist.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    LarryInNYC, Newscience and viguera like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chances are that if you order same day delivery - at the added expense of course - that they will use a local florist and deliver an arrangement rather than flowers in a box

LarryInNYC and Newscience like this.
  10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure that the times I've done this (probably via FTD) that it was delivered by a local florist. As you can tell, I generally do these things pretty close to the moment I need the flowers delivered.

Newscience likes this.