Best Credit Card for Car Rental Insurance

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by naresh_0204, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. naresh_0204

naresh_0204 Active Member

Status Points:
    Which is best for Credit Card for Renting car to earn points and get best Rental Insurance?
    I have Chase Saphire , Chase Ink , Chase Freedom , Amex MR Gold , Citit AA , Us Air and Costco Amex.

Espan likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For insurance questions, you'd better read the contract yourself.

Espan likes this.
  3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I seem to remember a recent thread on this topic pointing to the Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer card as having good coverage.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Espan likes this.
  5. ThomasChia

ThomasChia New Member

Status Points:
    I used to have Citi, but that was for airline miles. I do not know about car rentals.

6. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have Chase Sapphire Preferred, you can use that.
    Otherwise, you should go with Costco Amex.

AMEX is my preferred car insurance.

7. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chase seems to offer great coverage, I have the United ClubCard Signature Visa. They also include various trip interruption insurances. Once I got stranded overnight in ATL, they paid for a hotel, clothes, toiletries and food. Ended up paying me $352 out of a max per day of $500.

Thankfully, I've never tested their car accident protection. But they claim you just refuse any coverage by the rental company and they will cover what your car insurance does not.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take it you have never driven (or don't plan to) in Italy, Israel, Ireland, Jamaica or New Zealand:).

Best card Diners Club nothing even comes close.

danielwood likes this.
  9. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, Not yet.:D

10. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bumping this up for more detail. The Chase Sapphire Preferred has primary CDW: "

"Just recently, Chase announced a change in the Sapphire Preferred CDW coverage from secondary to primary insurance. Rentals paid for with the Sapphire Preferred are now covered for losses including physical damage and/or theft of the rental vehicle, valid loss-of-use charges assessed by the rental company, and reasonable and customary towing charges related to a covered loss. Reimbursement is up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured. While expensive/exotic cars are generally excluded, exceptions include select models of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac and Lincoln."

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/08/credit-cards-that-offer-primary-car-rental-coverage/#ixzz3QiMetVev
    Follow us: @thepointsguy on Twitter | thepointsguy on Facebook

It seems the Citi Thank You Premier also has some coverage, but I'm less clear on what it has (will have to look in my paperwork).

I guess the main question is... what is the CSP coverage missing?

11. KateBennet

KateBennet Member

Status Points:
    I guess you don't need it anymore. But! If you ever face such problems again I highly recommend you to use this app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/car-rentals-market-app/id878633650?ls=1&mt=8. It has a very wide base of car rentals almost all over the world. They are sorted by the price and you destinations. So you can find the service that suits you the most in almost no time!

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for being suspicious, but... Are you affiliated with the makers of that app? I noticed that you've recommended it 3x in your 15 posts.