Best Credit Card for Car Rental Insurance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by cheryld, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, Not sure if this is the right forum for the question. Any opinions on the best card for Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver? The last rental I used a Visa and I am assuming that was best at the time. I have a plethora of cards to choose from due to some recent point opportunities. :)
    Looking for both primary vs secondary coverage as well as which company is more hassle-free if a claim must be made. Thank you.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard from Chase is one of the few that has primary coverage (i.e., you don't have to go through your regular car insurance first). I only got it half a year ago and thus don't have any hands-on experience with any claims yet. I actually didn't even notice that little benefit when I applied (read about it later on FT), but switched my rentals now to that card and hope that the upcoming card merger with UA cards will preserve that feature.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  3. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe Diners Club offers primary coverage as well.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Diners Club has been m rental car card for years. I do have a Continental Onepass plus card and didn't realize the insurance was primary? (And we're talking about the standard card, not the Presidential card?) Folks generally speak highly of the American Express paid rental car insurance option.

5. squeakrad
    Original Member

squeakrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dinners Club is PRIMARY which is why we have the card. We have not had to use it (knock on wood) but all reports across several forums are that it's not a hassle and they even pay the rental co. loss of use.
    That said Diners is not accepting new apps to my knowledge.

2soonold and LIH Prem like this.
  6. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this for one country or multiple? Many credit card insurance products are country specific.

7. This is a good question. I have had to use insurance from a card about 5 times. Its a painful process when its an out sourced insurer. I carry a special rider on my car insurance for this purpose now. I do have AX, Chase and Citi; but I don't trust them to be painless. The damage was a deer in South Dakota, three windshields and a BMW 330 collision in Germany.

2soonold likes this.
  8. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow piqaro, you have not had good luck with car rentals! I hope you were OK in all of these incidents. The rental is just in Florida - where another hazard exists [​IMG]...(although there will be a time when I will be in this category as well). So, I am not overly concerned. When we rented in Europe, I also took out a separate short-term policy. I wouldn't trust the credit card policies in those cases.
    Yes, I just happened to have brand spanking new Continental Onepass Plus Cards for both myself and DH. Sure enough they have Primary coverage. I will go with this card for the next rentals. I had read before that most people seem to have good experiences with Amex claims. Not sure about other companies.
    Thank you to all who responded!

9. I forgot, I had a collision in New Orleans too; but it was covered under the rental agreement. I have not been hurt. (the deer is dead though) Its strange, but I have not had an accident or traffic ticket with my OWN car in over 20 years :p

10. squeakrad
    Original Member

squeakrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    we did purchase the excess insurance in New Zealand as it was relatively cheap (10 NZD/day).

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the regular non-Presidential OnePass Plus card. Here's a link to their current 50,000 mile signup page:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/products/chase/continental.aspx?offer=OPP50

It has this blurb:

"Travel Protection. You receive car rental collision damage waiver on a primary basis, baggage delay and lost luggage reimbursement, trip cancellation insurance, roadside assistance and more."

Note to self: need to look into "loss of use" coverage.

12. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    I heard a rumon that any business credit card comes with primary insurance. Can anyone confirm. Also Amex platinum has a protection service for this as well.

13. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your post. It's always good to hear from someone with real-life experience.[​IMG]

14. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I let my DC carry my many mundane rental cars; but for vacation/playtime rentals, I usually buy coverage from the rental car company.

15. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it may just be built into the company's contract with a given rental car company.

16. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had been using my FIA (formerly Schwab) for rental car insurance, primarily for the 0% foreign transaction fee. I had Toyota rent-a-car charge me for a small dent underneath the vehicle. I've been getting terrible customer service trying to jump through all the hoops to get the claim paid.

Since then I enrolled in the premium insurance offered by Amex. I decided it's worth the extra cost of $19.95 per rental period plus 3% foreign transaction fee to have good customer service if I need them.

17. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two tips about that:
    1) The 3% foreign fee on amex is going to go away this year
    and more importantly
    2) Check the car out with your normal credit card and then if something happens, pay for the card with your amex. That way if nothing happens you dont get charged the $19.95 but still have the coverage protection just in case

This only works in countries that don't require payment up front.

druiddation likes this.
  18. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    bsaced said:
    I almost did that. They used my Amex for a deposit and when I returned the car they asked if I wanted to use the same card to pay. I was really tired but the little light bulbs went off and I said I would like to use a different card. Then they told me if I pay with a different card it can take a long time for their banks to release the deposit for some reason.

19. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember seeing that $19.95 Amex deal awhile back but didn't sign up at the time. Can you call in and register for it, or register on the web?

20. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    It can be done either way.

Miles likes this.