Best Credit Card for Car Rental in France

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Steven Schwartz, Sep 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all-

Pretty much have a slew of cards from AMEX Centurion to Chase Sapphire, etc. Any thoughts on which card gives the best insurance protection? Appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks.

tondoleo, marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rental car insurance overseas is absolutely the only reason I still keep my Diners club. Their coverage is primary and in the few incidents I have had the process was pretty painless .. really all you do is report the accident supply the details and they take care out it.
    In the case of Visa my experience is that a charge for the damages is put on your card and then taken off later when the matter is resolved.

Although not relative to your country of question Diners will provide coverage in a number of countries which Amex will not.at all.... Italy, Ireland, Israel, New Zealand and I believe Jamaica are a few that comes readily to mind

tondoleo and Kalboz like this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    When are you going? Stefan Krasnowski recently uncovered the fact that the Chase Ink cards will likely become primary insurance starting on November first (and has tips about other cards that are primary and / or provide coverage in the often-not-covered "I" countries).

Kalboz and tondoleo like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

We just returned from a week in St. Kitts and I had the awful experience of the rental car getting trashed in a pot hole on the road. I had originally reserved with Hertz, but when I got there they would not take American Express. I cancelled and rented from Avis instead. Thank goodness that I did as the front bumper and fender of the car were broken going through a pothole. I called Amex even before returning the car and they started a claim for me. They told me that not only was I fully covered for the damage, but if the rental company wanted money for the loss of use while the car is being repaired I was also covered for that.

It is my first experience using this benefit, but Amex came through like champions in my opinion.

MX and tondoleo like this.
  5. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow that's nice to hear of such great insurance coverage.

Wanted to rent a GL450 at LAX and the insurance cost was somewhere around $80+ a day. Ended up taking a GLK as the insurance was cheaper.

Would you guys drive without insurance in the US?

Kalboz, marcwint55 and tondoleo like this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a no brainer just about all credit cards provide free insurance coverage plus its unlikely that any rental company would allow you to leave without some sort of assurance they would get reimbursed or insist on a huge cash deposit

Kalboz, marcwint55 and tondoleo like this.
  7. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AMEX rental car protection is $ 24.95 and covers the vehicle for the entire rental period. You can sign up for it here. https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

The folks at TOBB have a discussion for Centurion card holders like yourself.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...n-take-amex-premium-car-rental-insurance.html

FWIW, I use my Chase UA card in the States and the AMEX insurance on my SPG overseas.

Enjoy figuring out what to do. Have a nice visit to France. Please say hello to Beldar's relatives.

lsed and marcwint55 like this.
  8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all. Will probably opt to pay the extra amount for AMEX primary coverage. Not going til end of May.

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  9. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually the previous time I rented a GL450 from Burbank, used Hertz Vouchers + Gold upgrade + paid a little extra to get the GL, didnt take any insurance and they didn't bat an eyelid.

Seems the AMEX car rental protection is for US Amex cards only? Tried with my local AMEX account and it didn't work