Best city street map

Discussion in 'Europe' started by chollie, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be going on a couple long weekend city trips in April - Amsterdam (been before) and Prague. I was looking at city maps today and trying to decide which one to get.

Recommendations?

'Streetwise' makes a laminated map. Another one that looked good was out of some kind of paper that seemed very durable. Then there's a big variety of paper maps or small books with foldout maps.

I usually end up using a local tourist map. They have their drawbacks - not always enough detail, but the area covered is usually pretty adequate. They do flop around and start tearing on the folds the more I use them, however. I sometimes tear (!) map pages out of guide books if I don't want to carry the entire book, but that's not always the best alternative.

Anyone bought a city map? Any preferences, thoughts, recommendations?

2. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually and very often do the same... Also, the maps provided by hotels that I stay in are usually good enough...

3. abdulai
    Original Member

abdulai Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the "Pocket Pilot" series of maps. Pocket-sized, flexible, durable, don't have to unfold the whole thing to look at one area.

4. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always use the maps provided by the hotel, I find most are quite good. And easily replaceable.