Best choice for regional jet service in the US?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by mikeschu, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Posting here since it's not related to earning miles.

I have to book SAN-ELP for a weekend trip in October. It looks like I will be using a regional jet for the first time, even if I go through hubs like DEN, DFW or IAH.

My understanding is that there are several contractors and service providers for regional jets. My choices are as follows:

American Eagle (through LAX or DFW on AA)
    ExpressJet (through DEN or IAH on UA/CO)
    Mesa (through PHX on US)
    SkyWest (through LAX or IAH on UA/CO)

I understand that ExpressJet and Skywest have at least merged on paper, but I'm not sure if they are fully one company yet or not (e.g. in terms of branding).

Assuming that I'm in coach, and that price doesn't matter much except for tradeoffs in time and the possibility of earning more miles (cheapest flights have been mostly stuck around $330 RT for weeks no matter when I look), what are your views of the regional carriers and/or the planes that they fly?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Between expressjet, skywest and American Eagle, I'd say about the same. No frills, just gets you there and thats about it. Not too familiar with Mesa's product. I'd look for routings that squeeze out the best cpm (cost per mile). I dont know if you'll have a measurably different experience on regional jets.

jbcarioca and Sean Colahan like this.
  3. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best cpm is through IAH (about 4k miles) with DEN the runner-up (about 3k miles). The tickets book into T, so it's probably not worth it to credit the trip to A3 to work towards *S. (Whether or not *S is worth getting is outside of this discussion.)

jbcarioca and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    More miles are better miles :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Servicewise, nothing beats Horizon...well nothing did on RJs until they got rid of them. :( Still on even the flights Sky West operates for Alaska, passengers still get complimentary wine and beer. Yay for free drinks!

jbcarioca likes this.